MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Default Buying new headers

I am going to be selling my used BBK equal length headers to a friend and am in the need of some new headers. Are the BBK un-equal lenth cermanic coated worth the $$? Or should I just slap on some cheap MAC headers? Also, how hard is the install with a 1-pc flange? My current headers have individual flanges as they are an older version. I have heard stories of the BBK un-equals being a PIA to bolt up.

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
Philossifer
Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time swapping "Shorty" headers for another set of "Shorty" headers...

No matter how good shorties flow or scavange, they'll never be able to overcome the natural restriction where they meet the "H" pipe.

I talked to a guy who owns a custom exhaust shop and his opinion is that "Shorties" are a good choice for people who live too far from an exhaust shop! They're a good option if all you have is a driveway and some hand tools!

If you want your exhaust to breath (so you can make power), go with full length headers. Don't mess around with shorties!
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:28 AM   #3
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

The reason I want to swap for new shorties is for the constant good look of the cermanic coating. My current headers are not really rusted, but are very discolored. Also, changing wires on my car is a total pai. I heard it will be easier with the un-equals. I have actually burned a few wires in the past. And another thing, one of the bolts that connects the h-pipe to the header keeps coming loose on the stud on the passenger side every so often. I have 2 h-pipes, and it does this to both. I think its because the header flange is a mess. I'm sick if exhaust leaks!

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I bought a set of USED BBK UNEQUAL ceramic shorties, I just did a head swap and I put the stock headers back on cause the BBKs have the seperate flanges and they dont linine up right.. and I didnt feel like prying them into place.. I figure if I'm going to struggle to put in headers I'll get long tubes... you'd think if they were used they'd be in the right spot, maybe they were for the heads this person had before me... but my stock headers fit my stock head and the new TFS heads perfectly... granted they are shitty stock headers, but they arent as bad as everyone makes them out to be... they are sure better then any manifold I've seen

anyone wanna buy these headers?
-as
Old 04-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

its not uncommom for aftermarket headers to need a little "convincing" to line up properly. get yourself a pry bar and have at it...
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: