MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anyone have problems with MAC headers?? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=24375)

HiFlow5 0 05-28-2002 06:52 AM

Anyone have problems with MAC headers??

I went and changed my header gaskets, cause they were leaking. When I put the headers back on I had to use a pry bar to get them stupid individual flanges to line up correctly. I'm assuming that the heat over the years has warped the headers. But that's not the bad part. I broke the welds at the base of the headers from manipulating them to fit correctly. I think the welds were slightly broken before, but I just made them worse. Anyone else of this problem with MAC headers? So now I'm looking into new headers, NOT MAC! I am trying to decided between BBK, Hedman, and Hooker headers. I like the BBK cause their chrome, but will the chrome chip or distort after a while? What's everyone running and are you happy with what you have?

Thanks, Craig

cyberstang5.0 05-28-2002 07:16 AM

I currently have a set of MAC's (unequal shorties) and I haven't had a problem. The coating just sucks.

I also have a set of BBK long tubes that are about to go in. Just by looking at the two, I can tell the BBK's are much better quality. I would suggest NOT getting chrome. Chrome holds a lot of heat. I would recomend getting the ceramic coating on them. They "look" chrome but they aren't. It disapates heat better and will make the headers last longer. Just warning you, ceramic coating is very expensive. I paid 400 for my long tubes (with my discount).

Mach 1 05-28-2002 07:34 AM

ceramic coating disapate heat? I thought ceramic coating held heat in? And you want your headers to hold heat in, the reason for the ceramic coating and the chrome and the wrap. Heat in headers is a good thing.

I have the chrome BBK's and they are holding up very well. They are over 4 years old, and have some slight miscoloring on a couple of the tubes, not even noticeable unless they are removed and you cah see it better.

The BBKs are of good quality, and i would recommend them.

sn95gt19 05-28-2002 09:55 AM

i have the mac unequal shorties on my 95, i havent had any problems with them except the hts coating looks like crap. they work fine but you can just tell that they were made cheaply MORE PROOF THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Jeff Chambers 05-28-2002 11:22 AM

MAC = CRAP spelled backwards....OK, you get my meaning. I've seen this sooooo many times with MAC headers that its not even funny. I don't know how they can get away will selling such poor quality products. I'd rather try and carve my own headers out of granite before I bought anything from MAC. just my $4.95

Mach 1 05-28-2002 11:25 AM

hows the quality on the MAC throttle bodies? They sure are priced right.

sn95gt19 05-28-2002 11:33 AM

i have heard of people having problems with their throttle bodies too, i would just go with a edelbrock/bbk, i have one and it works and looks great. one other thing that mac makes that is junk is the elbow adapter that you need to put a aftermarket intake on a sn95 my buddy had one, and he had to grind away about a half inch of aluminum just to make it work. so if anyone is thinking about buying anything mac, i would think again, unless you like "rigging" everything, i had a hell of a time getting my mac cold air to fit too, the pipes were too long.

mysweetlx 05-28-2002 01:08 PM

I have MAC longtubes and haven't really had as bad of an experience as some of the other guys have had. The only problem is/was the d/s header rubs on te steering column and ca feel the header vibration throught the steering wheel. I'm gonna adjust the motor and motor mount bolts like I've been told in the next few months.

red82gt 05-28-2002 03:06 PM

The chrome on my MAC tailpipes had some small flakes chipping off on arrival and now my tailpipes are an ugly, rusty mess. The mufflers are rust free and sound great but the chrome plating of the tailpipes is totalled after only 2 1/2 years. I have had no problem with my Flowtech headers and X-pipe despite the low prices. The welds are in good shape and the 1 piece flange makes installing easy and after I ditched the gaskets that came with the headers I haven't had any leaks.

Mach 1 05-28-2002 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mysweetlx
I have MAC longtubes and haven't really had as bad of an experience as some of the other guys have had. The only problem is/was the d/s header rubs on te steering column and ca feel the header vibration throught the steering wheel. I'm gonna adjust the motor and motor mount bolts like I've been told in the next few months.
Your going to adjust the motor to keep your headers from rubbing? Wow. Try taking the header out and denting it in slightly where the steering shaft rubs it with a ball pean hammer. A lot easier then re-positioning your motor.

HiFlow5 0 05-28-2002 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mach 1
hows the quality on the MAC throttle bodies? They sure are priced right.
Priced right, that's what I said when I bought it. I don't think its all that great now, and think it has a part to play in my idle loping problem. I really have nothing to compare it too though cause it was installed when I built the new motor. So who knows.

Mach 1 05-28-2002 05:06 PM

my guess is that e cam has more to do with your idle loping problem than a throttle body.

Hethj7 05-28-2002 09:42 PM

I have seen the same problem with MAC headers. We spent almost an entire day trying to get the flanges to line up.

sn95gt19 05-29-2002 09:43 AM

my e cam has a surging idle too, need to get another kind of cam.

mysweetlx 05-29-2002 04:01 PM

I've got F cam surging problems too. I'm not sure if my injectors have anything to do w/ it too.

drudis 05-30-2002 08:30 AM

I have MAC longtubes. I was recommended these (expensive) gaskets:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/n...gine_parts.pdf

for this motor:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/n...e/dsc01429.jpg