MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-15-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Question A/C and blower motor question

Does being low on freon cause the A/C to pull more amperage/volts from the alternator?

My A/C works a little, but not that great. Whenever I turn on the A/C it draws big time from the electrical system. The higher the fan speed the lower the volts go. The car has been upgraded to a 130 amp alternator and it can't even keep up with the A/C.

Is this a blower motor problem or A/C related? I am leaning towards the blower motor since it does it when you turn the temp knob up. How can I test the blower motor? I have a digital voltmeter if that helps.
Bad89stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

your blower motor is probably going out. Just a bearing inside it or maybe the brushes. You might want to get a new one or find a nice used one from a junk yard. The A/C compressor shouldn't make a difference so it should cause the voltage drop even when just running heat.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

****. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

in my 90Gt i also noticed that the when using heat or A/C, my electrical system gets weak. car shifts and driveslike sh*t with the a/c on. i know the a/c hurts performance but i have not seen an a/c drain a car's power like it mine does.

i also noticed fan speed one does nothing basically, #2 and #3 are almost identical, and #4 is much much stronger. is my blower motor going? where can i pick up a new unit?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
Bad89stang
Registered Member

doesn't sound like you have the same problem as I do. Does it do it while on "vent" only? Take the A/C out of the equation and see if having just the blower motor on is causing any problems.

Mine doesn't affect the driving at all. Just pulls too many volts from the system.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #6
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad89stang
doesn't sound like you have the same problem as I do. Does it do it while on "vent" only? Take the A/C out of the equation and see if having just the blower motor on is causing any problems.

Mine doesn't affect the driving at all. Just pulls too many volts from the system.
The fan will work fine on vent or floor, but when i put it on "MIX" or especially on just the windshield, my electrical system takes a SERIOUS drain. sometimes with the heat on the windshield, when i push the clutch at a redlight, the car will drop RPM's and stall out. Help?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: