MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2001, 01:36 AM   #1
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Post C-springs this short?? And bushing melting tips....

I just pulled my stock front spring out for my change to C springs and am concerned about how short the new ones are. The stock spring is 2-3 inches taller than the C spring. This seems strange since they are only supposed to lower ride height about 3/4 of an inch.
Just want to know if this is the way it is supposed to be. I wonder if they could have possibly put the wrong springs in the box.(P/N is E4BC-5310-AA) I would hate to get everything back together and find out I have a problem.

I already did the rears. The C springs were only about an inch shorter than stock. I even cut a half coil off and they barely dropped the height.

The car is a 91 LX Special Service. I didn't think they put different springs in those cars, but could this be the cause of these oddities?

If you are a C-springer please let me know what you noticed with your car.

Oh, no I didnt mix up the front & rear springs

Also getting ready to do my Prothane bushings in the control arms. I understand that you have to melt the stock bushings out, but I need a little advice. I left the strut, tie rod, and ball joint attached since I pulled the springs out from behind. Has anyone done the bushings while still attached or do I have to bring the control arm all the way out.

Any help is appreciated!

------------------
Spec Service (UHP), Paint, 16x7.5 ALBA's w/BFG G-Force KDW's, TC 3.55's w/disks, K Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C springs & strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, KB welded subs.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 02:17 AM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You have to remember that you are comparing apples to oranges with you old springs and the Ford C's. The C's are a specific rate spring and the factory springs are progressive rate. The C's are shorter (uncompressed) because they are stiffer and you car won't compress them as far as they did the factory springs.

Say your factory springs are 18 inches uncompressed but are a weak spring. You put a 500lb weight on them and they compress to 12 inches (just making up numbers here for explaining why the C's are shorter uncompressed)

Now on the C springs they are only 16 inches uncompressed but are a lot stiffer. When you put the same 500lb weight on them they compress to 11 inches (more made up numbers). You see what I mean here? The uncompressed length of the spring doesn't have much to do with it when you are comparing springs of two different spring rates. I have the Ford C's and just so you know I'm not pulling your chain mine were the same. About 2 inches shorter.

I haven't done bushings yet so I can't really help you there.

Good luck!

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 03:37 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

I've never heard of melting the bushings out, I guess it could work......if you have a three jaw puller, try that, if no, get your favorite drill, and then just pummel the thing full of holes, should come out after that.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 03:45 PM   #4
Green92LX
Registered Member

I agree with 2fast...the springs won't compress as far as your stockers...as far as ride height, mine dropped almost 3 inches (No BS) in the front, and about two inches in the back.
The car has a very mild rake on it because of this, but I've learned to love it...have fun

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 06:59 PM   #5
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Green LX,
3 inch drop in the front?? Wow, the book says 7/8" for the front. I was thinking of cutting the fronts a 1/2 coil like the directions say because I want 1 to 1 1/2 drop.
Maybe I better not cut anything if it's gonna drop as much as you say.

BTW I'm measuring drop by comparing before & after measurements from the floor to fender lips.

Is that what you mean?

Anyone else know about what the typical C-spring drop is?
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 08:00 AM   #6
9Cobra5

I getting ready to put the C's on as well which is the same spring that is the Kenny Brown spring. They said that if your car isn't level after it settles, they have these spacers to install to bring it back to level. All cars are gonna sit just a little bit different than others. If mine doesn't sit just perfect it's gonna drive me nuts!
Old 03-08-2001, 09:14 AM   #7
JohnnyG
Registered Member

For the bushings, use an acetylene torch... a propane torch won't burn hot enough. Burning the bushings out is definately easier than pulling them... just a lot smokier! As far as the springs go, I agree with what was posted: The stock springs were taller because they were more easily compressed. As far as cutting-off coils goes, I would not do it out of fear that the spring would not sit correctly. Best of luck.

-John
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 09:59 AM   #8
Green92LX
Registered Member

Yes...it did in fact drop actually like 2 7/8 inches...don't ask me why...we are talking about the Motorsport M-5300-C's, right?

I measured the gap from the top of the tire to the bottom edge of the fender...its the same thing..I still could figure out the difference before and after. I have had this happen before with these springs. I had a 92 convertible before these two in my sig and these springs slammed that car the same way.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:27 AM   #9
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

My drop was at least 1 1/2" in the front. The rear never dropped at all. I wouldn't recommend cutting the front coils. Especially if you ever plan to go with long tube headers. I have come close to ripping mine off a couple times on the back roads when I hit an unexpected dip.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote