MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2002, 12:47 PM   #1
Comatose
Registered Member

Default CAI/ K&N Filters/ Underdrives

Stock 86GT w/hypertech chip, 5spd, 2.73s

Which is a better choice, K&N filter in the stock airbox, or a complete CAI such as MAC, BBK, etc.?

Anyone have any mounting problems with their CAI, or any other relevant information that might prove useful in my purchase. Thanks.

How are the BBK aluminum underdrives?

Thanks for you help,

Jeremiah Alexander

BTW--I'm hoping for an increase of 20h.p. between the two.

1986 Mustang GT

K&N Filter, Removed Air Silencer, Black Magic Fan, 65mm Explorer TB, 110lph BBK Fuel Pump, F/M Force II Cat -Back, O/R h-pipe, U/D's Timing@14*

1986 Mustang LX SSP--new project car

AOD, 3.27's, Dumps, 238k miles
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:23 PM   #2
1BAD302
Registered Member

Im guessing your not going to get 20hp from CAI and underdrives, maybe 10 if your lucky. The CAI look way better but im not sure if they are worth the extra money. Underdrives will riddle you with battery and alternator problems from what i have heard on this site so i decided to avoid them personally.

Rice Haters club member #29

Stereo - 2/1000watt 12" MTX subs; Kenwood 1000watt amp; Pioneer 4/ 50watt deck
1BAD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
explicitone
Registered Member

I would get the C.A.I and if you dont care about looks just the added power get some header wrap and wrap the cai cause they seem to soak up to much heat and they get HOT by wrapping the cai you will keep the air coming in a lot cooler and that will help in the power gain.

as for pullies I have the ASP and I love them and they were a little cheaper then the bbk ones and there black so they dont stand out as much but if you want the look get the bbk or march pullies but for the look they cost more

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Cold Air Intakes and K&N filters

Pulleys are worth up to 10 HP, maximum. Aluminum is good, brands vary in quality. No suggestions.

The K&N in the stock airbox works fine and it's cost effective.

The full fenderwell cold air intake kits are over $100. and have some fitment issues. HP gain is about 3, tops.

Not a big HP boost but they sound great at WOT, clean up the engine compartment and 3 HP is still 3 HP. Only trouble is, you won't really notice it.

I use the Moroso kit which has a plastic intake tube but fits perfectly and never a problem in 3 years.

With a CAI kit and underdrive pulleys, you're looking at about a 10 HP gain, maybe 12, maximum.

Your money might be better spent on replacing the rear gears for 3.73's. No HP gain but big acceleration gain.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD302
Im guessing your not going to get 20hp from CAI and underdrives, maybe 10 if your lucky. The CAI look way better but im not sure if they are worth the extra money. Underdrives will riddle you with battery and alternator problems from what i have heard on this site so i decided to avoid them personally.
the only probs I have had with the pullies is when you have your lights on heat/air and stopped at a light your gauges reads low but once you start moving you are fine and all it has done to me is cause the lights to dim at low motor speeds (sitting at a light ) but if your into the big systems then all you have to do is upgrade your alternator which you should do anyway without the underdrives and a big system in the pre94 mustangs cause those ones just suck
you never said what yr car you have

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 06-24-2002, 01:34 PM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

With the power increase from the pullies and the cai if wrapped you might hit close to the 20 that you want but I am not sure of that
because I did the cai tb and spacer on the same day and I wrapped 2 years later and I seen a little more with it wrapped not to say no more burning my arm on the darn thing when under the hood after driving for 5 mins.

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 06-24-2002, 01:39 PM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: Cold Air Intakes and K&N filters

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
Pulleys are worth up to 10 HP, maximum. Aluminum is good, brands vary in quality. No suggestions.

The K&N in the stock airbox works fine and it's cost effective.

The full fenderwell cold air intake kits are over $100. and have some fitment issues. HP gain is about 3, tops.

Not a big HP boost but they sound great at WOT, clean up the engine compartment and 3 HP is still 3 HP. Only trouble is, you won't really notice it.

I use the Moroso kit which has a plastic intake tube but fits perfectly and never a problem in 3 years.

With a CAI kit and underdrive pulleys, you're looking at about a 10 HP gain, maybe 12, maximum.

Your money might be better spent on replacing the rear gears for 3.73's. No HP gain but big acceleration gain.
Mr 5 0 has a great point as always I wish I would have started gears and I still dont have them cause I spent to much money on things that were not need yet but when they are needed I already have them

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 06-24-2002, 06:24 PM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Anyone use the march ram air/pulley setup? They claim 30HP with the package. Im wondering if a person can even beleive anything they see. ANyone watch HPTV? 94 GT. Baseline 165 with a 5 spd. After BBK CAI, Mallory AFPR, Mallory igntion (complete including wires cap rotor coil and ignition box) Flowmaster american thunder exhaust, and all the hit was 185 or 195? The exhaust claims 15hp increase buy itself and the CAI 10-15hp. I guess its all about the money and nothing about the truth huh?
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 01:19 PM   #9
explicitone
Registered Member

a lot of these companys are talking increases over the whole rpm band not just peak there might be places in the range that got a 10-15 hp increase but the peak only went up 5-7 you have to look at the whole dyno sheet and compare rpm to rpm not just peak to peak

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________