MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default general suspension questions

Want to refresh the suspension in my 90Gt w/ 130,000 miles. Was thinking some bilstein shocks/struts and Ford Front lower control arms from Maximum Motorsports ($190). I figure my ball joints are toast by now anyways. Here is what they describe for the control arms:

1979-1993: With the newest of the Fox chassis Mustangs being over 11 years old, all of those cars are now ready for bushing and probably ball joint replacement. These better-then-original control arms are an easy way to restore, and even improve, an older Mustang's handling and ride quality. This kit upgrades the front control arms on 1979-93 Mustangs with improved low-friction ball joints and inner bushings. Dramatically reduces impact harshness qualities.

My question is, what is the difficulty of the control arm install? Seems much eaiser than replacing the ball joints. Are there any other suspension parts I should look at or consider? this is a daily driver, thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m3075a.jpg (4.2 KB, 5 views)
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: general suspension questions

IMO, ball joints are way easier to replace than the whole control arm. I just don't like dealing with the coil spring unless I have to. But your stang probably needs control arm bushings anyway. I'd say go for it. Definitely rent the coil spring compressor from the parts store if you do this.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
chatcher
Registered Member

Default Re: general suspension questions

i did the ball joints when i did my springs and i also had the energy suspension polyurethane bushings installed the balljoints were 25 apiece and installation for all six pieces was 100(2bj and 4 ca bushings at the machine shop) so depending on what the ca bushings alone cost thats not a bad deal i however needed the sn95 bj so a new ca wouldnt have helped me def get the spring comp and you wont think its that bad of a job i do remember having to put the front bolt in first to get it to go back in but that may have just been my mechanical ineptitude