MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-22-2001, 12:56 AM   #1
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Angry calling all technicians!!!!! PLEASE READ!

ok, I have put a post here twice already and no one seems to get my problem. Here it is; I thought I was having fuel pump problems with my 88 gt. I installed a new one. The car will not start whatsoever!!! I already looked at the distributor and the coil, the wires, but it still won't start. It hesitates big time then dies. Could it be the timing or what? Any suggestions would do. I also looked at the inertia switch it is ok. I tried disconnecting the battery and rest the computer and it didn't work, How can you tell if someone put something in your gas tank??? could that be it? I really enjoy having the stang but this problem has been the worst!!!! I am really disappointed in my car. please if you have any suggestions, even small ones please help...Let me believe that this site is the number one in helping people with their stangs...thanks guys
could it be the camshaft? of the timing belt? or the valves? What could it be?????

[This message has been edited by SPEEDY88 (edited 06-22-2001).]
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 01:39 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Could you put another post up listing the things you checked? From what it sounds like, it's either fuel or spark.You said you looked at the coil and wires but did you actually see spark coming from them? Grab a friend and have him sit in the car. Unhook your coil wire and hold it with some sort of insulated pliers. Hold it about an inch away from something grounded( away from any fuel and away from the battery!!!) and have your friend crank on it.It should have a consistent, but pulsing spark. If that's O.K. then check your plug wires with an ohm meter. They should have no more than 30 ohms of resistance. Don't forget to wiggle the wires as you check because they could be cracked. If you don't have an ohm meter, just do the same procedure you did on the coil wire to the plug wires( be careful the car doesn't start). The later method of checking them also ensures the cap and rotor are working. That's the hillbilly way to check your ignition. It's possible your igniton or mechanical timing is off too. Does it backfire at all when it hesitates? Did the car run before you changed the fuel pump? Also you can add an addititve to your gas tank that flushes water out, you might want to dump some of that in. Play with your timing. Mark your distributor so you can set it back to where it was,and then start advancing and retarding the timing while your friend cranks on it. Go in small increments so you don't cause a huge backfire. I'd also check your rocker arms and make sure they aren't loose. Any else have any suggestions??
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 05:43 AM   #3
mikew88gt
Registered Member

Before you do anything change your fuel filter if you haven't already. When this problem happens can you still hear your fuel pump running or is the pump stopped? Like 'smokedchevy' said try to determine if you have a fuel or spark problem.
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 07:06 AM   #4
88conv
Registered Member

Check the module on the distributor.(The grey box that the wire harness hooks to) I was adjusting my timing and pulled just hard enough to pull it apart from the distributor. I couldn't get it to run for nothing. Push it against the distributor and try to crank it. Should run until you let go. Have to get a new one. Just a thought if you've tried everything else.
88conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 08:27 AM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Have you checked both Fuel Pump Relays yet? My friend had a relay that was going bad it would start then die and stutter, then finally it just would not start. You have one of them over near the air box, a small black box, the other one is under the drivers seat. Also did you check the inertia swutch in the hatch? You can get to it through a little access hole that is covered with a rubber plug. Stick your finger and push on the white button, it should be down.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 06-22-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:42 AM   #6
da89cup
Registered Member

If you still have cats, check them to see if the honeycomb material inside is broken, that won't even let your car start.

------------------
89 coupe, 351W, 351W heads, 30lb injectors, 190lph pump, 80 maf, 70 tb, ? cam, cobra upper, gt 40 lower(14.6at95mph)
da89cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:51 AM   #7
84stangLX

I remember my car did the same thing you're talking about and i remembered that the last time i had timed the engine (before it suddenly died), the mark would kind of float around and not stick to a certain degree, so i knew it had slack in it. I pulled off the cover and sure enough the timing chain was so floppy the car couldn't run with it even though the timing marks were lined up. The symptoms i had were that occasionally it would catch for a second and then die again, but most of the time when i cranked it, the car would just crank REALLY fast like there was no compression (most cars have a steady rhythmic cranking, mine was VERY fast paced). The only other thing i can think of is checking what other people recommended, fuses and relays. Did you happen to abuse your vehicle not too long before it died. I don't remember how exactly your car stopped running, can you refresh our memory???

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-27-2001, 02:24 AM   #8
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Question

Hey Speedy 88, are you going to reply?
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 04:21 AM   #9
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Talking

Well, I checked everything that you guys told me to check and I finally checked the ignition module.....Bang! that was it. the cars tuns now and I am happy thaks for all your help, I couldn't have done it without you guys...you guys are the greatest..this sure is an awesome site. keep it up guys.

------------------
88GT-Bassani X-pipe,Two chamber flowmasters,3:73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Steeda clutch quadrant, pro 5.0, K&N, Hypertech chip, Underdrive Pulleys,High Volume oil pump....ALL POWERED BY MY FOOT!!!
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote