MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2001, 03:25 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Question Calling people who did the AOD to T5 swap

I will be swaping a tremec 3550 into my 93lx this weekend. I was wondering how long it took you to swap in the trans? I have all the parts and a friend to help. Also was there any problems... it looks like it will be a pain to crawl under the dash to switch the pedal assembly.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 10:46 AM   #2
mustang928
Registered Member

Cool

I did it about four years ago w/ the help of my cousin on my 91.. The most difficult part of the swap is the install of the clutch pedal assembly..Everything is straight forward, but you will need patience!! I kept the auto computer and have had no problems. Started on a friday evening and finished monday night, couldn't find the correct nuts/bolts that I needed here and there. Removing the auto tranny cables (coolantlines/shifter cables,etc.) is kind of a pain as well. Make sure the flywheel is already balanced before you install it!
I found out the hard way...You will need to change over to the manual H pipe bracket.
Good luck..
mustang928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 11:41 AM   #3
Coupe Devil

Thumbs up

First off lets start by saying you will love your car even more after this swap. I did it on my 90 lx and it wasnt that bad. If you have a roll cage or bar with door bars im sorry because it will be hard to manuver with them in. My advice also is to take the drivers seat out. It just makes it easier to move around. I did mine in two steps. A freind helped me and we changed the pedals in a sat morn. Then I waited to use a friends lift to do the tranny. Altogether it took about 10 to 12 hours. Also you will have to remove the steering column. dont fret though its easy.

There is one bolt in the engine bay on the steering shaft. There are four bolts that hold the column to the bracket under the dash and five or six on the plate against the firewall, all of these must come out.

Also you may have to relocate where the speedo cable runs throiught the firewall. On mine it was either put in the wrong hole from the factory or it just need to be moved. There is a hole about two inches toward the passenger side of the car I used for this. There was a grommet there so I just cut a slit in it a rerouted the cable. you have to take it off the back of the cluster to do this.

You will also have to figure out which wires are for the Neutral safety switch. I will look tonight at mine and tell which to to splice together. You will not have any backup lights unless you find a harness for the plug on the tranny. I never hooked mine up but I didnt have tinted windows.

I agree with MUSTANG928 on the shifter thing. Mine wouldnt come out so I persuaded it with a sawzall. If you dont have it already get a adjustable quad and cable youll love it. Hope this could help.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 12:33 PM   #4
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

not that bad..well i did it when i was doing my 2.3->5.0, AOD->tremec, 2g->3g, swaps..the hardest part i agree was the pedal assembly..i manage to do mine with just dropping the colum not removing it..i deaded the day when i had to start that part of the project but it went rather painlessly...
hint..use about 24" of extensions to do the brake booster bolts are you will be on your way
any other questions just email me...also i just jumped the nutral safylt wires and my car can start without using the clutch

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:22 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i just did mine 2 weekends ago, and my god it is great, i went to a track a few days ago that my best there was a 14.08@98 (the dont prep it at all) even with a 2.17 60ft time i cut a 13.76@ 101.4, i did have a stall converter and i shifted it 1-d-1 before, i know its got a 13.4 or .5 in it when i learn how to launch better on my new nitto drag's, these guys are right, the pedals are a pain but if you take your time its not really bad, i would put a total of about 9-10 hours on everything it took for the swap, i did the big stuff on a lift though, this is a good site to go by step by step http://members.aol.com/black306/AODT5.html
good luck with it

------------------
88 Notch T-5, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, best 1/4--> 13.77@101.35 (with the AOD)
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 11:10 PM   #6
WADS56
gear banger

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-18-2001, 04:48 PM   #7
MiracleMax
Registered Member

[URL=http://www.fordmuscle.com/[/URL]

has an article for DOA to T-5 conversions

[This message has been edited by MiracleMax (edited 08-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MiracleMax (edited 08-18-2001).]
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 11:43 PM   #8
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

well did you get it done yet?

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 12:03 AM   #9
WADS56
gear banger

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol:
well did you get it done yet?

I pushed it off to next weekend. I had to work this sunday so I didn't know if one day would be enough. So this weekend I pulled the engine and trans out of my 79 to do some work on it.

Thanks for the link on the swap. It helped me out on getting the parts that I needed before i started.

Old 08-20-2001, 11:14 AM   #10
Coupe Devil

i WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT I HAVE A T-5 FOR SALE. I REBUILT IT AND IT HAS 6XX ON IT SINCE. I ALSO HAVE ALL THE PEDALS AND SUCH TO DO A SWAP. THE ONLY THING YOU WOULD NEED IS A NEW CABLE FOR AN ADJUSTABLE QUADRANT.

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it). 89' 4banger in prep for all out drag car. using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, just bought it so its no where close to done.

Future mods: 93 - none maybe a stereo later. 89 - full out drag car, 306 for a while, 4'10's posi, summit rear cover, granatelli lift bars, bbk uppers, Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p., c-4 or c-6 hav
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote