MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
redsn95vert
Registered Member

Default cam question

I thinking of doing a cam swap once I pull the car off the road this month and I can't figure out which way to go....
first off what is the duration of the stock H.O. cam?
the TFS cam TFS51402000 has a great profile but everything I've read says its catered to the twisted wedge heads.
the E303 looks solid,
but I'm leaning towards the B303 with 1.7s
any input would really help, and if anyone knows how hard it is to do the swap without pulling the engine it would really help, cause if my wife catches me.....she'll kick my you know what
thanks for the info.....
95 GT convertable, ported+polished GT40 heads, port matched upper and lower Cobra intake manifold, Flowthech headers, Catco hi-flow h-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats, Mac true fit catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, Mac cold air intake, FMS 24lb injectors, Granatelli 75mm mass air
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
tmoss
Registered Member

Default Re: cam question

The stock cam varies in duration but most fall into the 205-210°@.050" lift range.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Not sure about the stock cam specs, but they're not THAT great. Pretty much anything you do is gonna be an "upgrade". I'm a BIG Cam Motion fan, give them a call, or stop in at www.cammotion.com They're in Baton Rouge, so as you can imagine things are tough down there right now.

TFS caters their cam to their heads, cuz they want to sell you heads! I know for a fact that there's a couple guys (Ryan comes to mind right away) running a Stage I TFS cam with non-TFS heads. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Ford's alpha cams are awesome for the street. If you're gonna use the B303, with 1.7 rockers, that's gonna net you .510 lift. Just go with the F303 (.512 lift) and save the expense of new rockers. Only thing you have to be careful of is coil bind on the valve springs. I don't know what stockers bind at off the top of my head, but .512 gotta be getting close. Also keep in mind that the piston to valve clearance is getting WAY close at that point also.

Changing a cam with the motor in the car CAN be done, but it's not an easy task. Have to either remove the tranny, or at least the crossmember and set the tranny tailshaft on the ground. That kicks the front of the motor up at an angle so you can slide the cam over the core support. Radiator and A/C condenser (if you have one) have to come out. Water pump, timing cover, etc etc. Like I said, it CAN be done, but it's tough.

Hope this helps!!!! Hopefully someone else will chime in with the numbers I didn't have for ya.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
redsn95vert
Registered Member

Thanks for the info....
being that I'm a lazy S.O.B. and a cheap prick I'll probalby just advance the stock cam a few degrees and go with the 1.7 rockers.
I could end up with approx 215 duration and about .470 lift
95 GT convertable, ported+polished GT40 heads, port matched upper and lower Cobra intake manifold, Flowthech headers, Catco hi-flow h-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats, Mac true fit catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, Mac cold air intake, FMS 24lb injectors, Granatelli 75mm mass air
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The F cam will work with stock heads. Got to change the valve springs though.