View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 07:12 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroked408
Have had a E303 cam for 6 years with a 110 centerline no problems,if you are not willing to accept a lumpy idle then why change cams,especially any of the alphabet cams,I seen on a post elsewhere in here how great the F303 cam is and it idles rougher than a E303 and it's centerline is 114,so back to what I always say "it is your preference and how much loss of a smooth idle you can tolerate"
LSA and LCA are NOT the only indicators of overlap. You need to go back to school. The B303's idle is lumpier than the E303, yet the B303 has more LSA and LCA. I agree with you on the point of making high end power. Sacrificing idle quality usually pays dividends above 5500rpm, but most EFI combos don't make their peak power much higher than that, anyway. For a carbed car, yes. The reason I don't like cams that try to overcompensate is another topic altogether. The Comp Cams XE series has very high LSAs, but they also have a very lumpy idle. It's just that they actually generate vaccum, which most SN95 cars need to run worth a crap.

The idea that your E303 has given you no problems so it's a good cam is asinine. There are more posts about problems related to vacuum and idle quality with the E303 cam than all other cams combined. The SN95 cars revised computers do not deal well with the poor vacuum created by the E303. This has been well known for a while now.

Your "Engine Guys" seem to be failing you again in the real world 5.0 knowledge department. I'm not suprised.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote