View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 01:36 AM   #16
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete

As for liability and so forth, would that crappy fiberglass board really make any difference, I dont think so. Besides, there's still tons of iron inbetween me and whatever it is that I'm colliding with. As for the rear, there's an entire cabin that has to collapse before I get hurt. I think I'm ok. Besides, I usually hit things sliding sideways anyhow =P
That fiberglass bar makes a huge difference !!! A 15 MPH parking lot crash without an impact bar can total that car before you can blink ! Any kind of major crash with what you have removed from the car could be fatal to you or anybody you have in the car with you. Cars today are engineered to collapse in a very controlled and specific way. You start pulling pieces out and it totally screws up the engineering. That ton of iron you talk about is mush to another 3500 lb car. What you're doing may be ok for a track car but its suicide in a street car ! Oh and if you wreck that thing and the appraiser who inspects it sees the missing bar and all the missing braces, which he will, you won't get squat because you've violated your insurance policy. I'm not talkin out of my *** either, i look at wrecked cars for a living ... every day all day long. From Saleen S-7's to old Hugos ... Hit in every conceivable way, from every conceivable angle.
You're driving around in a thin sheet metal skeleton, and if some old lady suddenly turns left in front of you, your car will probably end up just another twisted hulk with a body cover and a pair of discarded latex gloves laying on the seat and bio hazard scribbled in grease pencil on the side ... i'll be lookin at rows and rows of em bright and early tomorrow morning. Do yourself a favor, don't get lulled into thinking that stuff you're taking out of your car don't make a difference, because it could easily cost you your life !
Geeze that looks like i should have called it structural secrets #1
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote