MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-23-2001, 04:48 PM   #1
AxeMan
Registered Member

Question Can someone tell me...

Ok, it turns out my tranmission problem was nothing more than a pin that holds the socket on the shaft. Here's my question...

The shifter/tranny setup on the T-5 is a ball on the bottom of the shifter that goes into a socket. Some kind of pin goes through the socket on the shaft and that's what I'm missing. I've been trying to find someone who has this and I can't find anyone to help me. I called a local dealership and they said all they could do was sell me the whole shifter assembly for 150.00! Anyone know if I can call a Ford factory direct? A 10 cent peice if keeping me from driving my car and it's making me a little nuts..

I tried a cotter pin in there but it just snapped. Not strong enough. Any suggestions? Thanks.
AxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:05 PM   #2
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

It probably uses a "Roll Pin". That's a case hardened round pin with a split down the length, so when you drive it in the hole, it will close the split and friction will hold it in.

Measure the length, and diameter of the hole. You can get these at most real auto parts stores, Home Depot has them and I believe Lowe's also stocks them. At Home Depot, they are in the nut and bolt section.

Make sure it's (the pin) just a little larger than the hole. You should have to drive it in with a hammer.

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - 5 speed. Original Owner
'94 E-150 4.9 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:31 PM   #3
spike
Registered Member

I've changed shifters in 3 different mustangs and have never seen a pin that holds the ball in place. It just slides in the plastic socket and thats it. If it's the shifter you need I have one from my 90 lx that I will send you C.O.D.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:36 PM   #4
AxeMan
Registered Member

I wasnt talking about the ball being held by a pin. I was talking about the connecting socket that the ball goes into. There's a pin that goes through the middle of the socket securing it on the shaft.

I'm going to check some hardware stores tommorow. Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up one of those today at an autoparts store but it was a little too short. I will get this fixed tommorow hopefully..
Old 08-24-2001, 08:28 AM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Damn it was only the roll pin huh? I would have never thought about that because they usually don't come loose (they shouldn't), and since that tranny had never been out of the car that would be the last thing I would look for. It worries me a little why that came out you may to increase the size of the roll pin by .001" or so to make it tighter if the other one slide out. What does the hole look like, ovaled egged out or anything? The pin is most likey attached to one of the magnets in the bottom of the case, you need to get that pin out because if it evers comes off the magnet it will trash gears, that pin is fully hardened.

Sorry I never thought about that that really would be the last thing I would have thought it was, I have never heard of that pin sliding out.
------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! <B

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 08-24-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 08:49 AM   #6
AxeMan
Registered Member

Wink

No problem. I was all ready to order a new tranny too.. hahah.

I havent found the old pin yet unfortunatley. I would think it would be in the same area where it fell off. I'll do a little more looking when I try and fix it today.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:05 PM   #7
AxeMan
Registered Member

Exclamation

Here's a good one. I got the roll pin and I was trying to put it in. No matter what I tried, I couldnt get a good angle to hammer it in the hole. Just didnt have the angle. So, I put a smaller one in there just to get me to a tranny shop where I guy said he would help me. It held decent in there with the smaller pin. (thanks to some ducttape) I made it to the shop and the guy took a look at it. Then he says "This isn't a mustang transmission. Looks like it's from a Pinto."

A pinto! WTF? The dude has been working on trannys for 20 years and he said he's never seen one like this in a 5.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, the roll pin should be on the top of the socket and not the sides, right? That's what the guy at the tranny shop said. I was so pissed at that point. I'm thinking of just selling the thing and finding one that's less mutated..

Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2001, 10:17 AM   #8
LX5liter
dude5l

Wink

I didn't think a Pinto ever had a 5 speed. Your tranny guy may be mistaken, or maybe I am.

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 11:12 AM   #9
fiveliter8
Registered Member

Every one that I have seen has the pin going in through the top of the metal block. What year is your car?

------------------
Factory Five Roadster Build
Yellow T-roofed 84GT (In users rides)&
20th Anniversary GT350 ragtop
fiveliter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 03:33 PM   #10
AxeMan
Registered Member

Talking

It's an 89 GT.

The guy said it looked like it was from a Pinto. Didnt say definetly. He was sure it wasnt from a Mustang though.

I remedied the problem anyway. I just got out the trusty drill and made a hole in the top, pounded the pin through and I'm good to go. Just so it didnt happen again I sealed the pin in there with some of that liquid metal that comes in the tube. It's good for up to 400 degrees so I should be in good shape now. Shifting feels better than when it did when I first got the car.