View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
79Stang351W
Registered Member

On my carbed 79 Coupe with 351W, I ran a Mallory Comp 140 with 1/2 in. lines and a 1/2 in. return. I used a Radio Shack 30 amp relay. I also picked up a socket that fits onto the relay with wires for splicing into. I mounted the relay inside the trunk on the spare tire well. I drilled a hole in the sparetire well to put the wires through and put a rubber grommet in the hole to protect the wires. I used 10 gauge wire for power supply and ground, and 12 guage for the switch. Anywho, on the specific relay I used, Radio shack 30 amp, connect as follows:

86 - power switch: 12 guage wire to your on/off switch (You can connect into your ingnition switch wires, but I just used a 30 amp double pull on/off switch and ran it to the battery connection on the solenoid. I wanted to be able to shut off the pump and let the engine run to drain the bowls for jet changes.) Note: I also used an inline cylinder type 7.5 amp fuse for this switch.

85 - Ground. 10 guage wire to frame in rear. Two wires, ground wire from the relay and ground from the pump connected to the ten guage wire then to the frame.

87 - Power: 10 guage wire from positive side of battery with heavy duty cylinder type fuse (7.5 amp fuse which came with the pump) to 87 terminal on relay.

30 - Power: Power side directly to pump.

Runs great! I went with the heavier wire so I wouldn't get a voltage drop from the smaller guage wire running all the way back to the pump.
Good luck,
MIKE
79Stang351W is offline   Reply With Quote