MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Default Confused, I need help on different fuel pump wiring methods.

Confused, what is best way to wire up in-line fuel pump?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 88 cougar motor to 84 stang body is pretty much complete, I just have to figure out how to wire up the fuel pump. Since the 84 motor had a mech. pump, and I got a deal on a Holley Red in-line pump, I decided to put that on, (thought it would be easier). I need a quick crash course on different wiring methods for the fuel pump, i.e., relay's, fuses, I am pretty much a moron come wiring time, so I need to figure out what to buy.
I figure this is how it could be set up the easiest. Black wire goes to frame ground, and the red wire coming from the fuel pump could go through a 30 amp in-line fuse(too big? too small?), into a switch that I have on my dash panel, that is connected to a hot wire, I figure 14 gauge wire would work? Did i get the just of how to wire up the pump? How does the relay type wiring work? (I tried reading my haynes manual to get an idea on how to wire up a relay, but there were too many wires, why would you need that many just to get a hot wire to the pump?) I would also like to know how to wire up a fuel pump relay, just in case I decide, ot have to go that route, so please be descriptive as possible.
That is why I figure having one wire going through an inline fuse to a switched on hot source would be the easiest for me. Sorry if I sound like a wiring idiot, but it is because I am, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote