MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2001, 01:29 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Car hasn't been started for over 2 years...can I expect problems from the EEC-IV????

My car was in full drag mode when I bought it with no motor or tranny almost a year ago. Now it is ready to be started tomarrow with a 393 replacing whatever the previous owner had in it. I have a couple sensors (ACT ECT, cannister purge) that are open b/c I don't know what to do with them. Should I expect any trouble from the computer when I start it and do I need to let the engine run for a prolonged period of time for the EEC-IV to kick in?? I also have a JMS chip burned specifically for this combo. Should i use it 1st turn over or wait to afterwards?? Thanks!

------------------
Finally DONE!!
93 GT, 393 stroker, Dynamic Roller Mite C4, 8 pt cage,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's,
'69 351W block w/SCAT crank.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 03:13 AM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

You need the ACT and ECT sensors for the car to run. When my ACT went bad, I knew it because the car would not run at all. Once you get all the timing issues squared away, just do the standard resetting of the computer. The EEC-IV is always kicked in. That's what runs the engine. Leave the chip out until you get all the bugs worked out of the stock setup.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 08:39 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

So where do these sensors go?? I've tried but I can't find anywhere for the plugs to fit.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2001, 09:20 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

I'd have to agree w/ jimberg - don't add the JMS chip until things are working smooth. You don't want to add the chip, have the engine run like crap and not knowing where your problem's coming from.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-22-2001, 10:01 PM   #5
LincoConti87
Registered Member

As far as the computer working you should have no prob. I got my Continental from a storage unit where it had stayed for nearly 2 years without being started and I didn't have any probs with it. Its not EEC-IV but it does have a similar thing...good luck
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 10:02 PM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

My major problem is that I bought a fuel system included with the car and I can't get the fuel to flow through the lines from the pump to the rails. Either my pump is bad or something is clogged. The pump sounds like it is working but what is the best way to check too see if the lines are clogged??
Old 07-25-2001, 08:59 AM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I checked my fuel lines and it was kinked. Stuck between the tank and the frame. I fixed it and got immediate fuel flow! Then I went to start the car and it just wouldn't run. Wouldn't even idle. We played with the timing and it still won't run. So yesterday I went to the factory and picked up some brand new ECT and ACT sensors. Do I put the ECT sensor in the thermostat housing?? What about the ACT sensor. Doesn't that go into the manifold on the driver's side between runners 6 and 7?? I have a plug in that spot now and it looks like the sensor would fit pefect.