MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Angry Car wont start please help ASAP/need to go to work

My car wont start ( this same thing happened last year!) I turn the key and I hear 1 click then go to crank it and nothing. Then I have no interior lights or any power at all. Yesterday this happened, I popped the hood. closed the doors and looked under neath the hood (basically did nothing). Went back inside and it started up fine. Come home and turn the car off. I went to start it up again, and nothing again. Sometimes I get interior lights with full power, but not enought to crank it over. other times very faint power, and others none at all. It can be jump started, however (temporary fix) the problem may pop up later on. I know the battery is still good and has water in the cells. The alternator is good too. Im guessing the starter is good seeing as how it cranks over fine with jumping it. Two years ago I replaced something under the driver side seat. Could this be the problem? the ignition? please help i need to go to work later today!! Thank you for any responses.

jim
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:20 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Check the connection on your battery cables. This happened to me and I tried everything except the obvious. You may need to replace them. I have had the same problem and it was the neg cable. If everything is tight, try cleaning them.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
briand
Registered Member

sounds like a battery cable to me also. but whenever you get it started again i would definatley go test the batt and alt free and a parts house, just to be safe. good luck
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:41 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Yep could be the battery, you should also check the ground.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:35 AM   #5
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

i checked the cables both neg and pos. they were fine, no fraying or melting and screwed on tightly. i jumped it a moment ago and ran for a few seconds before i put the brake on- when i did, it stalled. I jumped it again and brought up the rpms while stepping on the brake and it still ran. when I put the head lights on, the battery needle drops low and jumps up and down. when their off it moves a little too at idle. The radio when turned up is fuzzy and the chime for the door being open is also distorted. This same thing happened last year and i bought a new battery and put it in, it was ok. (EVEN THOUGH they said it was tested as being ok). So thats why i dont think it is the battery 1 yr old too. Any other suggestions . this is FRUSTRATING!!!!!
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 08-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #6
jerrys84
Registered Member

sounds like a dead battery to me....

even though the cables are tight, they still corrode and loose conductivity.

remove the cables and clean them and the posts. also check the selenoid end and the ground end..

if thats not it, then the other options would be a new battery or maybe the alternator is shot...

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default SOLVED- IM STUPID!!

its fixed thanks to all of you who responded! I appreciate it. It actually was the obvious (I hate to admit it). I roughed up the negative cable with sand paper, tightened it up and then tightened it up where it led down under the motor somewhere( this was pretty loose). Thanks to all who helped, im an idiot!!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 08-01-2002, 12:49 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Lessons learned

Hey, we all have to live and learn. You have. No shame in that and at least your problem was easy to fix - and free.

Consider it a learning experience that didn't cost you anything but time.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:51 PM   #9
1hot5.0
Registered Member

You know, it is a funny thing that you mentioned that this happend to you. I just purchased my car about a week ago, and this is my 3rd day driving it. I went into the gas station to get some gas. When I got done filling up the tank, I went in to start it. It clicked once, and nothing happened. Me neighbor happened to be getting gas, and he gave me a jump start. Absolutely nothing happened. I didn't even get gauges. My negative terminal cable had corossion on it and was loose. I moved it around a little but, got back into the car, and bam. It started. Guess we just need to check our cables every once in a while.

Anyways, if it's not a dead battery, I hope that you get your problem resolved soon.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:42 AM   #10
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default I had the same exact problem

I had this problem last week. I didn't check the cables, but I know the negative cable was not tight. I'm glad this solved your problem, because it's probably the cause of mine. Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote