MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Stangbanger86
Registered Member

Default Car wouldn't start after burnout!!!!

Allright here's the deal, I did a little burnout today and noticed I had smoke coming in the car from the front, I figured it wasn't the tires so I stopped and parked my car. A few seconds later I tried to start it and all I got was the starter screeching and the motor wouldn't turn over. I tried it a few more times and got the same thing. Now i was pissed and 50 miles from home, I thought the flywheel was messed up or my motor was busted. So i waited about 20 min. and was about to check the starter until I decided to try to crank it again. Lo and behold it started!!! I let it run and drove it around and it seemed to be fine. The only thing I can think of is that the clutch was burning pretty bad and the heat from it caused the starter not to engage. I hope I'm right. The clutch is a king cobra that I installed about 5 months ago so it shouldn't be bad. Thankfully I made it home and it drove like normal, the only thing is that the clutch pedal moved up a few inches and I had to adjust it again by pulling up on it until it clicked, now the pedal height is back to normal, but I can also still smell the burn inside the car. Is this normal? Somebody please shed some light on this dark subject for me!!!!!! Thanx
Stangbanger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
billheis
Registered Member

Sounds like youre on the right track. I'd get rid of that self adj. clutch linkage and put some kind of adj cable in there. I do believe your clutch was slipping bad. I dont know about the starter, it does sound like it got hot, but why. If you have long tube headers you may need to put a heat sheild on or go to a mini type starter.
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

I had a King cobra in my mustang for about the same amount of time when I did a burn out one night. The car didn't die or anything, but the clutch pedal was real soft and seemed like it didn't work to good. I adjusted it and it still wasn;t that great. I was able to smell the clutch and how bad it burned. Turned out that was the end of the clutch. I thought it was supposed to be some good heavy duty clutch, but it went out on the first burnout. The pressure plate was blued all around from the heat. Might want to take a look at the clutch if you get the chance.

Chris
Old 09-22-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Stangbanger86
Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the reply. Hopefully when I find time i can look at it. I don't have long tube headers, still I thought the heat from the burned clutch caused the starter problem not the headers. I only have about 4,000 miles on this clutch and haven't even raced it yet!!!!! I've babied the car around town like I've had for the last 2 yrs. It still running good but even when I walk up to my car after it's been parked for a while I can still smell it!! Kinda strange huh??
Stangbanger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #5
Chris_H
Registered Member

I know the feeling. My clutch still smelled a month later in my shed where I keep all of my "bonehead" mistakes from the car. I was telling my wife about this post and she said it sounded just like my clutch! I would be willing to bet thats its bad, or not in the greatest shape if you can still smell it. Mine smelt horrible when we pulled it off. Hope it works out for you. I swear I wil never buy another King Cobra. My car quest clucth has been the best clutch to date for me.

Chris