MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2001, 12:48 PM   #1
redrider
Registered Member

Question carb vs fuel injection

I am thinking of swapping my 347 with 24 lb injectors 70mm tb aluminum heads cobra intake for a 351 w world heads torquer manifold and 750 holley. Which would make more power?

------------------
88 GT mass air conversion from 90lx, Cobra Intake(ported/polished lower),Edlebrock Heads(ported/polished),24# injectors 70 mm BBK TB, 73mm C&L, 347 SB, Wolverine custom cam, 150 shot Nitrous, BBK 1 3/4 long tubes, BBK off road H pipe, Dynomax cat back, alum driveshaft, Konis,Southside Bars w chromemoly torque boxes,AOD w lentech valve body, B&M MegaShifter, 4.10 with Auburn diff, SVO springs, subs, cross drilled rotors,MSD A6 w ign retard, black magic fan etc.
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 09:47 PM   #2
juiceman
Registered Member

well, thats a tough question. without knowing the specs on the 351 its hard to come up with a answer. they will probably make close to the same. if you like what you have keep it. if you plan on doing more then go 351. you can always stroke that to a 408. there are benifits to each and both will go just as fast.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 02:24 AM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Does the 351 already have the correct bracketry for a mustang? Also remember that you'll have to change the fuel system in your car and you'll need a set of 351 headers. Also, please tell me the other guy is going to give you some money, with your hardware your motor is worth much more. You could sell your stuff and build two motors just like the trade one you describe.

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:10 AM   #4
redrider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red82gt:
Does the 351 already have the correct bracketry for a mustang? Also remember that you'll have to change the fuel system in your car and you'll need a set of 351 headers. Also, please tell me the other guy is going to give you some money, with your hardware your motor is worth much more. You could sell your stuff and build two motors just like the trade one you describe.

The 351 is coming out of a 98 GT concept car. My mechanic who is selling it for 14 grand says the motor has run in the high nines and has been totally rebuilt from the bottom up. I believe him about 90%. I know my parts are expensive and I've had the Coast High motor for about 18 months and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. He ia also guaranteeing the whole car for 6 months so I can expect to run the motor at the track with reasonable assurance that if something breaks, he'll fix it.

My mechanic is building an 8 second 99 Cobra with dual 750 Holleys instead of the prior set up of a mod motor with a Paxton Novi. He believes the carb setup with nitrous will be superior.

My 347 is only good up to 600hp with a cast steel crank. I know I'm taking a bit of a chance but the damn 347 only dyno's at 300 rear wheel hp anyway so I'm thinking the carb motor has to be more out of the box. I also have a AOD with a 2500 stall converter. Is that rpm ok with the 350?

Thanks in advance

redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 05:32 PM   #5
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Wow, If he's selling it for $14K then it must have some exotic hardware, You could build a yates headed 408 for that much coin! If it was capable of high 9's in a 98gt then there's not a chance in Hedes that your AOD will hold up.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 10:09 PM   #6
juiceman
Registered Member

if the 351 is a 9 sec motor then do it. but remember, theres always a reason someone wants to trade a motor like that for a lesser one.
oh my god! he thinks the carb will be superior? using holleys to go 8's? he must be crazy! thats not possible from what im told. hahahaha. sorry, just had to do it. im being told in a post now that carbs are the absolute worst. by a knuckle head. you want a laugh and some knowledge, look at the post tossing the efi
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 05:40 PM   #7
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Quote:
im being told in a post now that carbs are the absolute worst. by a knuckle head. you want a laugh and some knowledge, look at the post tossing the efi[/B]
That's interesting. I'd ask that knucklehead if carbs are so bad then why are they used in Pro Stock and Winston Cup? Don't Pro Stock cars run 6.90s with a single carburetor?

Regarding carbs vs fuel injection, a rule of thumb is that you make more hp with a carb, but more torque with injection. Just a rule of thumb, though. It depends on a lot of things.

------------------
Russ L
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote