MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
XR1stang
Registered Member

Default 408 stroker questions... fuel injection vs carb

So I have scrapped my 347 build and sold off most of the parts. Long story as to why, but what is done is done. Now on to the next build up.

I am leaning towards a 408 build now and I had some questions regarding them. Would you guys recommend staying FI or switching over to carb? I have a lot of FI parts still left over from the last build (only sold the block and internals so far) so I could possibly use them on this build. Also I still have the ignition stuff if that matters.

I plan on high compression with a big shot (300ish) on it so keep that in mind. This car will most likely see very little street use and mostly be a strip car, something like < 10% street use but I would like to keep it relatively streetable.

This is all going in a 94 if that matters at all

Oh and what about heads? I have a set of mildly worked TFS heads but I am not opposed to moving to something else.

Money isn't a real big issue, but I would like to keep this on an attainable budget
Old 08-23-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I vote carb, but I'm really prejudice on this one. Love them carbs. Either way you're buying an intake manifold. If you stay with the Fuelie stuff, you still need a lower intake to match your upper. If you go carb, well then...... Carbs are easier to tune, but when both systems are RIGHT, the fuelie usually outperforms the carb. It's just tougher to make the fuelie right. There are many more aftermarket parts, or "upgrades" for the fuelie motors these days, so fine tuning it to your motor specs should be no big deal at all.

I still vote Super Victor intake, and a big ole 800 Demon!

Oh, and on a final note, since I'm currently in the same boat. When building a fuel system for a "real" motor....... HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLET!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
XR1stang
Registered Member

lol, no joke on the fuel system pricing

I have roughly $1700 in fuel stuff right now (Aeromotive with big injectors) so I may just try the FI route... dunno though.

Also I'm not sure about solid roller vs hydraulic either.

And I'm looking around for pricing on Brodix heads or Yates heads, although I haven't ruled out AFR 220 and TFS R heads but I haven't seen any real comparisons yet.

*sigh*

so many "new" things to learn when stepping up to this range. New heads vs heads I'm familiar with. FI vs carb, solid vs hydraulic. argh, a lot of research is in front of me now.

**edit**

oh and don't forget compression. I have been seeing numbers around 10.5:1 for a 408 running pump gas but that's about the highest I have seen... any reason for that? This last build up was at 12.5:1 with 92 octane, but race fuel when spraying.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I vote Fuel Injection, carbs are easier to adjust but limited in what you can do. There is alot of stuff available for fuel injection over carbed applications. I once thought of doing a Carb setup just cause i got sick of the fuel injections issues. so its either way really. But I vote Fuel Injection..
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Can't beat the simplicity of a carbureted motor. It just looks so much cleaner under the hood. So another vote for the carb. Especially since you are only talking 10% street duty, go solid roller. And I vote for Edelbrock race heads.