MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default carb intake?

I am asking on account of a buddy of mine. He is wanting to run a carburetor instead of messing with the fuel injection. My question is what do you guys think the power difference would be between like the trick flow track heat upper and lower against an edelbrock performer dual plane with a 600 or 650 holley on it. Of course he knows that he will have to change fuel pressure regulators. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:31 PM   #2
PKRWUD

he'll have to change fuel pumps, too. I prefer the RPM intake, but it really depends on what the mods are. If it's bone stock, it won't need more than a Performer and a 1850 600 Holley.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:29 AM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

It would totally depend on the rest of the engine, if the motor needs the airflow of a track heat then the performer won't do, if the motor is mild the track heat would be way too much. The RPM or a torker II would be more like the carb equivalent of a track heat.
I use the edelbrock RPM on my motor, it did 4mph better than my offenhauser dual port and I'm still dialling it in (I've only been to the track once since the switch). He'll have to switch a bunch more than just the fuel pressure regulator too.
Old 06-07-2002, 03:07 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Yeah, what he said.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:54 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros

I thought he could replace just the regulator with a smaller one, instead of changing pumps too. If this is not true, then what is required to make the swap?

So a good carb set up will make more power than a fuel injected set up? What he is looking for is about 350-400hp naturally. This is a street driven car and will stay that way.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:13 PM   #6
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

You'll need an in tank pick-up, at least a -6 line from the tank to the motor along with all the fittings, either an electric fuel pump or a mechanical one (high volume, low pressure-fuel injection is less volume, high pressure), a low pressure regulator, a new distrbutor, rewiring for the guages and there's probably a bunch more I can't think of right now.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:45 PM   #7
vande97
Registered Member

You can still use the stock fuel line that is already there, as i did you jsut have to make a few changes when coming to the carb. You can also keep your wiring for the guages you just have to mesh a couple of wires together form the chassie harness to get power to them , also if you get a used pickup for the gas tank dont use the sending unit from the pickup, it will not read correct you can keep the one from the stock tank that is in the car right now. And you will have correct fuel readings. So that said new Dis, and ignition and you are on the way!!

good luck

vande
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 11:10 PM   #8
Stroked408
Registered Member

here is a great site to help with your swap www.fast351.com it is a lot useful info on that site to help with your swap,but if you are only wanting 350-400hp on the motor why not keep the fuel injection? Cold start,parts are already there,no need for a wiring harness lot of pro's and con's to doing the swap,some carb setups make more power and torque than a fuelie but one intake that was not mentioned and it is a killer intake is the Edelbrock RPM AirGap intake manifold,that is a sweet intake also just a thought

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:24 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros

Thanks for the help. He wants to switch to carb. because he hates computers and electronics on the motor. The main reason is because the carb parts are cheaper than fuel injection parts. And he doesn't have to worry about is "this" calibrated with "that" and so on. Thanks once again.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:04 PM   #10
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up makes sense

yeah that is correct,from the things I have heard and people I talked to it is pretty simple,hope the website helped

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:24 AM   #11
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Arrow if he has enough motor

302's and strokers seem to react nicely to the Victor Jr intake. but as posted before, Its all in what the motor has.
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote