MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #1
black86notch
Registered Member

Question to carb, or not to carb...this is my question.

The patient: '86 no options 5.0 5-speed LX notch with 45,000 original miles. (pretty rare and very clean)

Current mods: Global West subframe connectors, HPM megabite Jr. lower control arms & upper non-adjustables, FMS 3.73's, Moser 31 splines, extended wheel studs, Auburn diff, Flowmaster 2 1/2" 2-chamber cat-back, Pro-5.0 shifter, Autometer tach w/shift light, '88 front spindles-calipers-rotors-struts, Wild Rides lower control arms battle boxes.

Parts waiting to go on: TFS out of the box heads(not Track Heats), TFS Stage 1 cam, FMS 1.6 roller rockers, MAC 1 5/8" long tube headers, MAC 2 1/2" off road H-pipe, Lakewood driveshaft loop.

The question: To carb, or not to carb??? My car is not a daily driver. I drive it on the weekends, but not every weekend...and I don't drive it out of necessity...I have other vehicles. Looking at it from a cost point of view, carb would probably be cheaper. Staying fuel injected and upgrading to Mass Air and upgrading the rest of the stuff needed like fuel injectors, intake, throttle body, fuel pump, and so on would be a little more $$$.

Then there is the question of more power. From what I hear, I will probably make a little more power with carb. So less money to convert to carb nets more horsepower...sounds good to me.

Anyway, I am asking for opinions, comments, advice, and experiences with what I just described.

Thanks,
Tom
"86 notch
black86notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

MM&FF tested a bunch of motors a few issues back, and the 306? with Trick flow heads, 9:1 CR made like 386hp with a demon 750. , pretty awesome! If I were you, I'd keep it Fuel injected, since it has 45k, and it's really clean. But then again that could get expensive,

Throttle body+spacer=$230
Intake=$450
Injectors=$200
Mass air swap=$500?
76mm Mass air=$180
+ probaly alot more, so I'll stop there.

That equals $1560 right there, so a carb is looking pretty good right now. 750 Demon=$350, RPM air gap under $200, +misc. stuff, but cheaper none the less. Just depends on your budget and if you want to tune a carb or not.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 08-04-2002 at 11:20 PM..
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:31 AM   #3
Barry Jackson
Registered Member

Default Carb or not

I put a 351w in my 87 stang and went with a 750 carb. I don't drive it daily, only at the strip and weekends. For a non daily driver my engine builder and I both agree the carb is cheaper, easier to deal with and makes some more power.
I would suggest setting up your carb after you run it some on the engine. The box carbs are pretty lean etc. I went up in primary and sec jets, plus increased the accel. pump. Be sure you have a good fuel pump and run 7 lbs. pressure. I put a holley blue with a regulator and pressure gage.
Barry Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 03:28 PM   #4
magicmerll
Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand the interest in removing factory parts from such a low-mileage cruiser!

Stick with the F/I. If you want to build a race-car, buy an '82 with a couple million miles on it!

Just my opinion, of course, and you know what they say about opinions....
Old 08-06-2002, 08:24 PM   #5
flyin 5.8
Registered Member

Carb = cheaper
Carb = more power
Carb = removing 30# pluss of copper from front end of car
Carb = not having to buy a scan tool ($)
Carb = not having to replace sensors, acuators...

My question is why go EFI
flyin 5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: