MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2001, 08:57 PM   #1
hippi97
Registered Member

Post carb tuning ????

I put a set of edelbrock 6022 heads on my car a few weeks ago took the car to the track and it seemed like it was running out of gas after the 60 foot mark. If i let off the gas and stomped it it did the same thing. but if i mashed it slow it did ok.
my questions are, do I need jet extintions on the rear jets? and what jetting would be close for my combo? If anyone is running pretty much the same combo, what jetting and shooters are you using? My best pass was a 8.10 @ 85.20 mph. I think the car should be in the sevens 1/8 mile.the car didn`t cut off on this pass but my 60 foot time was off 1.85 most others was in the 1.7`s. but shut off after that. thanks.

------------------
85 mustang coupe with a 88 block,edelbrock 6022 aluminum heads,crane roller rockers,aluminum driveshaft,C-4 trans,3500 stall,3.73 gears,lakewood traction action liftbars with air bag in right rear spring,longtube headers,flowmasters,
weiand stealth intake,600 holley,
best e.t. 1/8 mile 8.10
best mph. 85.20
best 60 foot 1.73...

hippi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 01:29 AM   #2
84stangLX

This is how i diagnosed a VERY similar problem on my '84. I noticed when i'd try to see how fast my car would top out that it'd sputter like the engine quit. Later i noticed because it got worse when i'd try to go a 1/4 mile my car would cut off and/or die around 65 depending on whether i let off the gas or not. I then did the same thing and let it die then checked the fuel filter. If you're not getting enough gas in the mixture (lean jetting) the fuel filter should still be full, it's just the mixture is affected and you're jetting would need to be changed, but i've never heard anyone having a lean enough mixture to have it stall out like it sounds like yours is doing. I noticed my fuel filter was EMPTY after this, so i know my fuel pump isn't delivering enough fuel when i'm romping on it. When i'm just doing normal driving or flooring it for relatively short periods of time it doesn't do it. I ordered a new fuel pump, so i hope it works, but i'm pretty sure that's what it is. Another thing i noticed is after it died w/no fuel in the filter, it'd still start up fairly quickly after it died and if i let off as it was dying it'd still sputter but i could still accelerate lightly after it caught up, so i'm pretty sure my old worn out pump isn't delivering PSI like it used to. Is your fuel pump stock/old? I'm also going to richen the jets in my Holley 600 after i get an air fuel gauge because i noticed mine is running lean also (glazed plugs). Good luck man.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* t-stat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, FMS smog pump idler
Old 04-24-2001, 06:35 AM   #3
hippi97
Registered Member

My fuel pump is a holley blue and it`s about a year old.
hippi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 11:33 AM   #4
Dark Knight
Registered Member

mine would fall on it's face at 5k rpm if I floored it, but if I eased it to 5k , no prob... I switched coils, replaced wires and capped of the wire for the dashpot for the A/C and it went away.. not sure which it was...

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives stock shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
14.06@100.21, 255RWHP on a hot day
265 on the mph/weight chart

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote