MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-07-2001, 07:40 PM   #1
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Post Cars burning/spewing oil

I recently put in a high volume oil pump after my last oil pump froze up. I have an open K/N breather cap and I know it was spitting out some oil from that about a year ago when I had it on the dyno. Anyways I was trying today with the nitrous. And at WOT its spewing a lot of smoking up through the shifter. I figure this is from oil spewing out of the K/N onto headers and burning?

Also when I am on the nitrous it spews even more smoke.

This is definatly worse than before, I was thinking the increase in oil pressure maybe forcing more oil out of the K/N. What causes this?

The car seems to be running good aside from a high idle. Althought I havn't been back to the track since the oil pump went in.

Thanks,

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 09:02 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

It may actually be leaking from the back fo the intake manifold which is a common problem because of the design of the 5.OL block. Take a flashlight and check the back of the engine on top of the transmission and see if you can spot any wet fresh oil. My car has a large intake manifold leak that i'll have to fix, and i also get smoke through the shifter as well. This can also be caused by oil running down the exhaust to the catalytic converters or actually from running on top of the transmission and baking. Good luck,

------------------
Mustang Parts Specialties ripped me off, it could happen to you as well.
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 06:09 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Sky, I'm sorry to hear about it! I personally would never recommend a high volume oil pump. They're not necessary, and only put more stress on your engine.

Quote:
This is definatly worse than before, I was thinking the increase in oil pressure maybe forcing more oil out of the K/N. What causes this?
The oil that is coming up through your pushrods is probably resembling the water coming out of a fire hose. I'm sure you have a baffle underneath the breather, but even that's not enough. How old are your rockers/pushrods? The older and more worn they are, the messier it's going to be. Another possibility is that you blew a seal out. Verify where the oil is coming from.

Hey, when does your store open? I still want to check it out!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 07:49 AM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD:
Sky, I'm sorry to hear about it! I personally would never recommend a high volume oil pump. They're not necessary, and only put more stress on your engine.

The oil that is coming up through your pushrods is probably resembling the water coming out of a fire hose. I'm sure you have a baffle underneath the breather, but even that's not enough. How old are your rockers/pushrods? The older and more worn they are, the messier it's going to be. Another possibility is that you blew a seal out. Verify where the oil is coming from.

Hey, when does your store open? I still want to check it out!

Take care
~Chris

Sky-I have to agree with Chris, unless your motor has the bearing clearances opened up to need the Hi-Volume it will cause a ton of excess pressure and pump oil up to the heads faster then it can return it.

The best thing I did was replace my Hi-Volume with the standard volume this past winter, Now I don't have breathing issues, leaky gaskets or all that stress on the oil pump drive shaft, I broke 2 teeth of the distributor gear which was brand new. HV pumps put 30% more stress on the shaft and distributor gear and rob HP.

I think on the N20 it is just reving so fast that the oil is in the heads most likey almost filling the valve covers and it has to go somewhere so it drips out the K&N bretaher.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
<B>12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 10-08-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:12 PM   #5
exgmguy
Registered Member

Here is another spin.

Blow-by. Nitrous causing increased cylinder pressure and making things worse.

Have you ever done a compression test and a leakdown test??

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
11.8 @ 123 (7/14/01)
11.5 @ 120 (9/14/01)
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer

See my car at: www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?179

exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:49 PM   #6
Skyman

Damn..

That oil pump was a huge *** project. I dont even want to think about diving in to change that again.

Stupid mistake...

Ill do a compression test this week.

Chris- Hopefully by the end of the week. Weve been gettin set back, just how things go.

Skyler

------------------
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Old 10-08-2001, 09:01 PM   #7
Skyman

The pushrods and rockers all went on w/ the heads in early 1999. So they aren't all that old, although the motor has almost all its miles being raced at WOT hitting 5500+ rpm.

Im going to try and find where this oil is coming from for sure if I can.

Skyler

------------------
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
dkliner
Registered Member

Default Re: Cars burning/spewing oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
Damn..

That oil pump was a huge *** project. I dont even want to think about diving in to change that again.

Stupid mistake...

Ill do a compression test this week.

Chris- Hopefully by the end of the week. Weve been gettin set back, just how things go.

Skyler

------------------
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Any tips and/or advise on changing out the oil pump is greatly appreciated. I've got the oil pan loosen haven't dropped it yet. How do I get to the oil pump? Will loosening the motor mounts give me enough room. HELP
dkliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Cars burning/spewing oil

Yes, you can use an engine lift to suspend the engine a few more inches in the air after unbolting the motor mounts and tranny mounts, however, this might not give you the clearance you are looking for, you may need to drop the rack down out fo the way, which isn't hard, just time consuming. Good luck.