MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2001, 01:23 AM   #1
rokdog13
Registered Member

Exclamation cat and air pump

anybody got any advice about removing cat's and air pump and all those freaking vacuum lines? been having cooling problems so i bought a new radiator and water pump. and i've pulled the whole top end off to clean it up and put in new head gaskets and fix the oil leak on the front of the intake. figured i'd delete the air cond., cats and air pump now while the engine bay is almost empty. any tips? please email
rokdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 09:47 PM   #2
Capri306

First, it's illegal to remove any of that stuff, and good luck reselling the car. I know I wouldn't buy one with anything removed.

Second, cats are required to keep some backpressure, otherwise your EGO's will throw a fit. Not cool. Air pump is questionable...

Third, Moved to Windsor Power Forum

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 01:25 AM   #3
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Wow Capri,

Could be me,but that sounded pretty rough on the new guy/ girl, looks like he was justlooking for guidance.

Well regarding the cats, if you are getting long tube headers, I didn't see whether you are getting a new off road h-pipe or high flow h-pipe w/ cats. Either way you will need a new one. Stock will not fit with the long tubes.

Second, unless you plan on keeping this car forever, I would keep the A/C.

Regarding the Air pump, it depends again on your set-up, I removed mine, because it was no longer needed or used, but performance wise, thier isn't any change, just less stuff to work around.You will need a shorter belt, I think mine was 70.5 w/ air cond. and you have to be careful how you route the belt, and how close the belt is, it is tight from the alt pulley to the belt tensioner, with my current set-up I think I will get an A/P idler. That is something you should think about as well.

What coolant problems were you having, it may not be the radiator or water pump.

Sounds like you are going at this pretty quick, if I were you I would do one thing at a time, just to see what mods really made a difference.

And don't forget sub-frame connectors.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:41 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

YANK IT ALL OUT!!
I did on mine and have no problems at all. Those thermactor pipes that were bolted to the back of the head can be used to plug off the holes if you flip them over. But since you have the heads off I think you can just screw a plug in there because I think they are threaded holes. Just ditch the vacuum lines goint to the thermactor stuff.

As for the A/C do yourself a favor and get the Ford Racing A/C delete kit. It relocates the power steering pump so it would be where Ford would have put it if the car originally came with no A/C. You have no belt rubbing problems etc this way too.

I assume since you are doing all this yourself you know what you are doing and I don't take into consideration that just because you are new to this board you are new to working on cars (or even Mustangs). Anyway, if you have any more questions this is the place to ask.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote