MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-29-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default centerforce II vs. duel friction?

I decided on a centerforce, now I've heard great things about the duel friction but the expert at the local speed shop recommended the centerforce II. he sells the center force II for around 325, which includes the throw bearing. whats the difference in the two clutches? i'm about to buy the centerforce II, some quick info would be helppful, keep in mind this is a stock stang which is a daily driver with occational beatings!
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:03 AM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

well i found out the following:
centerforce I = grips 30% better than stock
centerforce II = 60%
centerforce DF = 90%

I figure the DF might be an overkill for my stock application, it might cause more wear and tear on drivetrain components. So are they any opinions of the Centerforce II?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:56 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

IMO the duel friction feels like crap. Its all or nothing very hard to slip the clutch.

I would get the base model centerforce clutch for your application. Normally the better grabbing clutches have alot of pedal pressure and make driving around town a work out.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:32 AM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I have ran the following types of clutches:

Ford Heavy Duty,
Ford Cobra,
Centerforce II,
Dual Friction.

IMO, I like the DF and with a new cable/quadrant, it had pretty good pedal feel. Handles power nicely.

For your current setup, I don't think you can go wrong with the Centerforce II and its easier on your legs, and I liked it more for the commute and in-town stuff. Did well at the track too. Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

I had a dual friction in my car and it worked great. Nice pedal feel and it held up behind a decent amount of power pretty well.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

I was also running the Dual Friction in my car. But i did notice that there were very thin cracks running on the outside of the pressure plate. Not to sure what that is. But all in all i liked it. I am now running a king cobra clutch assembly. Pedal feel is alot lighter, and it seems to grip the same as the CF DF on my stock application.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:33 PM   #7
Simi Stang

Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
IMO the duel friction feels like crap. Its all or nothing very hard to slip the clutch.

I would get the base model centerforce clutch for your application. Normally the better grabbing clutches have alot of pedal pressure and make driving around town a work out.
I'd have to disagree. The Centerforce DF that I have in my '90GT feels great. The easiest clutch to push in that I've had on my car. It doesn't make your leg tired in traffic...and it hooks great even with launching with nitrous on drag slicks. I've had it in for about 7 or 8 years now...which is only about 30K miles...but I've beat on my car many times both on the street and strip. The clutch still feels just like the day it was installed. The DF has my vote.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

well, i ordered up the Centerforce II, along with a steeda adj. cable, firewall adjuster, quadrant, and a tri-ax shifter. along with a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, rear main seal, resurface flywheel, and some Redline synthetic, i think i'm all set. did i miss anything?

since a shop is doing all the work, i figure its gonna run about $900, i will post results when i get the car back. as far as breaking in the new clutch, i was told 500 miles of city driving and taking it easy, no downshifting. sounds good?
Old 10-31-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
Scrapla
Registered Member

I had the king cobra and been doggin that for a while and it works great but that centerforce II should be great also that firewall adj. is the greastes thing I just intsalled one and its awesome but I had to do some minor triming around my clutch cable and you have to remove that copper looking gasket around the hole that goes into the firewall but good luck with your set up.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:38 PM   #10
Coupe50h
Registered Member

the king cobra is a great clutch, and id say the cf II is similair, my king cobra clutch has survived many hard launches, but is just now starting to slip while powershifting on slicks......DF is going in next.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote