MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-30-2002, 06:42 PM   #1
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Question Headers, chrome or polished ceramic??

Hey guys,
I think i'm gonna go with the BBK equal length headers, even though I still don't know if they are better than the unequals.

Anyways, I figured that the polished ceramic are better than the chrome but they are also $110 more expensive at $339.
What is the difference and is it worth the extra money?

And they also come with one flange and without. not enough difference in price to matter. What is better?

Thanks guys
Scott
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

The equal lengths are better because they equalize flow. Ceramic coating ones are much better because they don't heat up the engine compartment as easily as the chrome ones. If you have somewhat big plans for your engine, spend the extra money, I know I will next time.

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
Thad
Registered Member

ceramic coated is better
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:54 PM   #4
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Thumbs up ceramic coating

I'd definitely go ceramic coated... it's worth the extra dough IMHO. You'll thank yourself in about 2-3 years when they still look great compared the discolored or even flaky chrome plating, it has the tendency to bubble and flake and then rusty away much quicker than the ceramic coating.

Overall the ceramic coating just holds up alot better over time, looks better IMHO, and dissipates heat much quicker than chrome (it's also called a thermal barrier btw). If the headers you choose are coated inside and out, even better, not sure which companies only coat the outside... just ask before you buy. I know the Dynomax shorty headers I had were coated inside and out... not sure about the Bassani long-tubes I run now, but it looks like they do also... no idea on the BBK's, but they probably do as well.

The one piece flange that bolts to the heads is supposed to be better... "truer fit" for lack of better term, no warpage or chance of inconsistent fit from the factory. whatever... I'd say it'd be safer to get the one piece flange, but I've never heard any complaints on the individually flanged versions...

Ceramic just plain looks better

The NMRA real street guys fly with the unequals (1 3/4 though), but I still prefer the equal lenghts if your going shorty-style... 1 5/8" if you plan on running a power adder or doing any serious mods to your ride should be fine

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Headers

Ceramic coating is one of those things that's actually worth what you pay for it and as others have stated, it's highly recommended.

Single flange is probably better, as Ultraflow mentioned.

Remember that installation will be tight - these are bigger pipes and not Ford products - but have patience and you'll be rewarded with better upper-end performance and a great sound from your exhaust. Adds about 10 HP after 3500 RPM but you may experience some low-end torque drop-off. That's the trade-off.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:30 AM   #6
drudis

I had chrome, and they look nice, and last pretty well.
But ceramic looks very nice, and is useful as a long-term rust prtection, and keeping heat inside the exhaust and out of the engine compartment.
I would definitely only go with JetHot inside and out coating. I did this time:
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:23 AM   #7
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking CERAMIC

I got the Ceramic Unequal Shorties as opposed to the Chromed. Didn't want to worry about how nasty they look when they turn blue and black due to the heat.....
Mine have a few 'cracks' in them over the past 3 years, but they still look good. I'm looking at it from a 'show' point of view...I say go w/ the ceramic coat.

AWESOME looking engine Drudis! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:50 AM   #8
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Ahem, cough, LONGTUBES ahem

From everything I can figure, the equal length shorties are not really worth the trouble, unless you can't pass emissions without a 4 cat H pipe, or already have an expensive H pipe etc. Stick with 1 5/8" unequal shorties, or go with LONGTUBES.

I had also asked about the chrome ( actually Nickel plating) vs the Ceramic. Everything says ceramic is actually worth the extra $$ and for reasons beyond cosmetic appearance, heat barrier and rust protection

that's my 0.02

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote