MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-18-2001, 05:31 AM   #1
84stangLX

Question chassis is flexed...consequences???

*my car is a hatchback*
When i bought my car there was a 1/4" gap along the jacking rail on the driver's side and the floor was heavily cracked. I got it welded and since then i noticed the after effects of this: the sunroof has dimples around it, the 1/4 panels have slight bends to them (like they're folded from flexing) and the cowl/hood/trim/fenders don't quite line up correctly and the doors don't quite shut as easily as they should (not lined up correctly). I had a stroked 351W in mind for this vehicle and chassis bracing to keep it from flexing while launching at the strip (i want this to eventually be at least a mid 12 second street/strip car). What are the negative consequences to having the chassis bent like this? Is it even worth my time to put some money into this car? The chassis flex is noticable because it was driven along time with a cracked floor and until i got it, it was completely stock. Keep in mind i don't want to autocross it, i just want a quick street/strip car. All opinions are appreciated, thanks.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FRPP alum. radiator, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" offroad-H, Flowtech Warlock cat-back, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 600cfm, FRPP smog pump idler, no smog stuff, money coming in for more soon
Old 05-18-2001, 05:15 PM   #2
DaveR_GT
Registered Member

If you do want to continue with this car I'd take it to a body shop that does frame straightening. Have them put it up check it and see if it can be straightened out. Then you can add your sub-frame connectors and roll bar to keep it from happening again.

------------------
'92 GT conv.
TFS heads, GT40, Powerdyne 9#, AOD, 3.73
My Mustang Page
DaveR_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:21 PM   #3
TheSloAod
Registered Member

i'd get another car

------------------
My slo aod- 3.73s, pullies, flowmasters, h-pipe, bbk cold air, and 13.42 in the 1/4 @ 103 mph
TheSloAod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
kystang86
Registered Member

Exclamation

If you are going to keep this car take it to a frame shop. someone who specializes in unibody. have them gauge it and ask them what they think. I rebuilt my 86' that was totaled. the frame work was 500.00 and everything lines up perfect. it,s not a big deal to correct it.

------------------
86 gt 3.73's,underdrives, welds, pro-5.0 shifted, chip,autometers,flowmasters, k&n,2.5" cowl hood, new motor in the works..
kystang86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: