MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-20-2003, 03:18 AM   #1
ciara
Registered Member

Question Need info on chassis tuning?

I have an 84 mustang with a 351w that is race only. I am switching to 90/10 struts with coilovers in the front and I have 50/50 shocks with adjutable upper and lower control arms. I have Eibach springs in the back with the right rear airbag. I don't know much about chassis tuning and was wondering if somebady had some tips about setting the car up as far as what to look for and how to adjust the front coil overs. At least get a starting point and how to make adjustments afterwards. Any info would be greatful. Thanks My car runs about 11.95 @113 mph with 1.7 60ft times. FYI
ciara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

I cant help you out much with the front coil-overs as I dont run them. Basically if you only have 1 set of springs for them, all you can do is adjust the ride height. You can get different springs for them if you need to tighter or softer.

The best advice I could offer overall is to get a 4 wheel alignment done by a competent alignment person who is familiar with race cars. Why a 4 wheel alignment you ask? This will tell you how square the rearend is with the car. (also known as thrust angle)

One thing that is often overlooked on a drag car is bumpsteer. If your car is lowered, chances are you have excessive bumpsteer. This isnt going to affect you much off of the line, but when the front end of the car is bouncing up and down during gear changes, it will definately affect the direction the car goes.

If I were you, I would concentrate more on the rear suspension settings first. But its kinda hard to offer any advice without knowing what your weight bias is or what kind of suspension components you have.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #3
420nitro
Registered Member

I agree with andy669, and if you want to take all the guess work out of it then go to a chassis shop and have it scaled and checked. My local (40 miles) chassis shop sets up pinion angle, makes sure car is square, scales the car, and set up pre load on the rear end (if you have dyno sheets, video, or time slips.) He charges around 300 dollars for this. I am sure you can find a shop by you too.
Good luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote