MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2002, 01:28 AM   #1
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Question Check Engine Light

I installed an X-pipe without cats, now i know that everyone says it will trip the CEL, but when? I drove the car for 4 days and no light, then one day, cruising down the road a 55mph it came on, i reset the ECU and a couple days went by, it came on sitting idle at a red light... It has no pattern to it, just comes on whenever it pleases. Has anyone else experienced this, maybe before they installed the MIL eliminators. I ordered some MIL eliminators, but my concern is that i am driving 2000miles accross AZ, NM, TX, and LA in the middle of July, and i dont want to find out then, that i have something really wrong with the car..
Old 07-04-2002, 12:20 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

That's exactly what would happen on my GT. I'd say 99% chance it's your bassani X that's the culprit. You can scan your engine for codes to check though. Dont take it to the dealer. Try this: DTC Code check

Good luck!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:16 PM   #3
MIKESHAW
Registered Member

i work at autozone. at autozone they will scan your computer for free and tell you why the engine light is coming on.
MIKESHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

My car did the exact thing right after I installed U/D pulley, T/A, and MAF on my 4.6 -- The computer light came on for a few minutes at first while it was re-learning the fuel/spark for the new MAF, but it went off after a few minutes... Then about a week later I was cruising around on a highway right about 55 or so, and the CEL light just came on, after a few days it went off. Came back on a week or so later, then went off after I cleared the ECU. I had autozone read the DTC on it and they said my Left Rear HO2S was bad, but it really wasn't... I install the MIL Elims in my car, it didn't solve anything at all, it did the same CEL on/off for a few more weeks, then one time I cleared it and it hasn't come back since. I guess the ECU got tired of fighting me and just learned to play nice with the new parts (hehe). Anyways, I didn't notice any difference with the MIL's and they didn't really do anything, since the light came back on and off... I do have to run 93 octane only!, if I run anything lower than that, I get the HO2S failure again.... I don't know about your car though, I think the new GT's run a differnt code set or something, I know you can access your DTC through the dash gauges (if you have LED read out), I don' t think you can do it on the all analog types...

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:11 AM   #5
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

n/m, scratch the part about reading your DTC through the gauges, if you have 97 you can't do it, yours is like mine... Do like that guy suggested, go to AutoZone.. and if you are nice to them, they will even reset your DTC for you , w/o you having to fix it... Don't count on it though, I know a lot of the guys in this area that work for them, and they were issued a Memo stating that they aren't supposed to reset them with out it being fixed..... (but, if you know them, or nice to them, they will turn the other way and let you press the reset button (hehe)).....

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 05:32 PM   #6
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Yep, I got the MIL eliminators in, and less than 3 miles down the road the CEL came back on. So i am going to take your advice and read the CODE, i am going to look into it, on my last car ('85 Vette) I could read the codes by jumping two terminals on the plug under the dash (cant remember what it was called, but you know what i am talking about) and the CEL would flash the code number, and when it was done, it would automatically reset the ECU memory. I will get back and let ya know what I get..... Thanks.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:30 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by afeezor97
Yep, I got the MIL eliminators in, and less than 3 miles down the road the CEL came back on. So i am going to take your advice and read the CODE, i am going to look into it, on my last car ('85 Vette) I could read the codes by jumping two terminals on the plug under the dash (cant remember what it was called, but you know what i am talking about) and the CEL would flash the code number, and when it was done, it would automatically reset the ECU memory. I will get back and let ya know what I get..... Thanks.
The 94/95 GT's are similar. You can use a jumper cable and get the dash to read the codes and then reset the codes (just unpluging the battery is not the correct way to do so). But on the 4.6 you need to get a code scanner, jumper cables will not work

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Ya, I figured out that i couldnt jump wires, and the only scanners i could find cost $130. AutoZone scanned it for me, it was a P0136 (bank 1 O2 malfunction) and then he cleared it for me. So i will give it a little while and see if it comes back on. Ok got to go....
Old 07-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #9
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

well, light came back on. So much for that. Guess i will start chasing wires to see if one got damaged during my clutch swap. (it did the clutch the same time i did the x-pipe)