MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Exclamation Now What??!! - Check engine light just started coming on... please help.

On the way home from work last night my check engine light came on out of the blue. The car was still running fine, oil level is ok along with oil pressure. Water temp was showing normal. I pulled over and shut the car off and restarted it and the light went out. About 5 miles down the road it came back on again so I shut it off again and it came back on after driving about the same distance again.

I recently installed long tube headers and was thinking maybe they are causing problems with my o2 sensors, but they have been fine for the past few weeks so could they start acting up now? I noticed one of my o2 sensors was ready to come apart when I reinstalled them so maybe that's all it is.

Are those code scanners you can get from Auto Zone good enough to use to tell me what my problem is? What is a good code scanner to get? Thanks.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'd bet it's just your O2 sensors. As a bonus replacing them will probably up your fuel economy by a good couple mpg.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 05:10 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i'm not sure about the autozone scanners but i'd definately scan it first before you replace the o2 sensors cause last time i priced them they were about $45 a piece! did you also put in an offroad h-pipe with your headers? cause thats what would be giving you the check engine light, if this is the case theres something you can buy to plug into the sensors to fix it, MIL eliminators maybe? good luck, Drew

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, pulleys, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after 1.7RR install

fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 02:16 PM   #4
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Yeah I have an off-road type crossover (Pro Chamber) but it was fine for a couple weeks before it started coming on.

I'm thinking it's the O2's too because the one on the driver's side acted like it was ready to come apart when I reinstalled it. Also, I drove through some deep snow right before the check engine light started coming on. With the long tubes it puts the O2's so close to the ground that the snow probably finished the bad one off.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
Green92LX
Registered Member

I have the same problem with my coupe, but I have shorties. I think its my O2 sensors too because my right one was about to fall apart too. My check engine started when I put the H-pipe on too. I think we got it here...

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote