MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
jalangst
Registered Member

Default Check Oil Light and No Oil Circulation

So, I finally got my transmission working perfectly and now this happens. I think someone is trying to tell me I'm not suppose to be driving it. So, I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that occasionally the Check Oil light would come on. When I saw it the first time I listened and heard nothing out of the ordinary. Just changed the oil and it's still on the full mark. I would stop the car and start it shortly later and the light would go off. It would only come on after starting on a occasion and then would usually got off after turning the car off and starting it again. I just figured it was a sensor problem. Well, it wasn't. I was driving it yesterday, did the same thing and then I finally heard it. No oil was being circulated. As soon as I heard the grinding I immediately turned off the engine. Through all this, the oil pressure is perfect. So, one would think it was the oil pump. But I've had the oil pump go out the oil pressure would read 0. Why am I getting perfect oil pressure but no circulation? I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the last oil change. Could a bad oil filter stop circulation but keep the oil pressure gauge up? Ideas please.
jalangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
vristang
Registered Member

Default Re: Check Oil Light and No Oil Circulation

I would think a plugged oil filter could do that.
You would have to have some debris in the oil though.
Maybe the filter was made wrong?

It is worth changing the filter anyway.

What filter are you using?
Please don't say Fram!

jason

1990 GT - 408w - 17mpg
TwEECer RT 1.30A10 - X3Z - A9L strat. / EA
Forged Bottom End / Gapless Rings / CR 8.85:1 / Custom Cam / Ported Trick Flow Heads / Box Upr / Lightning Lwr
17x9 Cobras / Front 255s / Rear 275s / 5 Lug Cobra Disc Conversion / Auburn Ltd. Slip / 3.27 / 31 spline axles / Panhard Rod / Upr&Lwr Control Arms

1987 Red LX - 2.3L - Planning 2.3t Converison
vristang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
jalangst
Registered Member

Haha, yeah, i'll never use fram again. I honestly don't know what is on there right now. My dad was actually driving over the past few months and he changed the oil. I told him to never use Fram. I hope he didn't put one on there. But, he may have.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
jalangst
Registered Member

Ok, so I go and try to take the oil filter off (it's not a fram but a napa) and it won't come off. I've never seen an oil filter on that tightly. I had to go buy an oil wrench to get it off. So, I finally break it loose and can't see anything visibly wrong with the filter. I add some oil, replace the filter and she starts up perfectly. Runs great and no sign of the Check Oil light. I really don't understand what's going on. Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye and an ear on it. I hope it was the filter...just a bad one and the oil was having a hard time going through it. No signs of damage. Thank goodness.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

I'm confused? How would you know that the oil pressure was "perfect" and that you were not having oil circulation?

The first thing I would do is install a good aftermarket oil pressure gauge. If it shows good oil pressure, And you still think there is no circulation, then pull a valve cover and fire it up momentarily. Oil should spurt out the top of the push rod pocket of the rocker arms. I don't think you're likely to see good pressure and no circulation. Oil filters do have a bypass valve that allows oil circulation in case of a clogged filter.

I never trust those idicator lights anyway, so some good after market gauges would be a sound investment IMHO.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
jalangst
Registered Member

Ok, I guess I don't know that the oil pressure was perfect judging by the oil pressure guage on the dash. It appeared to be working properly. I've had the oil pump stop working and it bottom out to zero. It wasn't doing that this time. I think maybe it was a combination of low oil...but I don't know where it went since I checked it recently and it was full, thick oil, the oil filter, and maybe a dying oil pump. It's probably the dying oil pump. The car sat for a long time. I would only get around to starting it and driving it down the road maybe every other month. Could have some sludge build up. Just changed the oil and that's when the problems started. I thought it could have been from the filter. I don't know. So, i'm going to do a good drain of the all the oil again and put lighter weight in it. If it's a sign of a dying oil pump, this should help give it a few more miles, you think? Any other suggestions?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Sorry, I wasn't aware from the previous posts that there was any gauge at all showing oil pressure. So the gauge showed pressure but the indicator light came on anyway? That's where I was confused.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 06-27-2006 at 06:36 PM..
Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
jalangst
Registered Member

Yeah, does the check oil light only come on if the oil level is low? Or does it indicate other problems as well?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalangst
Yeah, does the check oil light only come on if the oil level is low? Or does it indicate other problems as well?
It only is supposed to come on when oil pressure is very low or near 0. I personally would trust the gauge more than the light. We used to refer to the indicator lights (when there were no gauges offered) as "idiot lights". That's partially because they only come on after something bad has already happened (that's assuming they worked as intended).

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 06-27-2006 at 06:42 PM..
Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #10
StormsofAres86gt
black and blue

ok, so y not use fram? i have one to go on my car, but it isnt on there yet...
'89 5.8L lx 5spd. 351W(349hp/384tq)-tfs twisted wedge(stage 2), rpm air-gap, comp cam(294/294:518/518) and lifters, kb .060 pistons(11.5:1), mac shorties, pypes o/r X, mac 2.5" all the way back, holley 750, march u/d pulleys...it's alive..it's back together and running strong
-zach
StormsofAres86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:01 AM   #11
vristang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormsofAres86gt
ok, so y not use fram? i have one to go on my car, but it isnt on there yet...
Since doing some reading I have only used Fram filters for initial startups on a fresh rebuild. Basically it only has to work for a few minutes.

The major problem is the anti drainback valve, but the rest of the internals are not as good as in other filters.

Read these if you want to get into all the details
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

Here is a shameless plug for my site
http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/referencedwebsites.htm
I have a couple other good oil reads on that page (at the bottom).

jason

1990 GT - 408w - 17mpg
Forged Bottom End / Gapless Rings / CR 8.85:1 / Custom Cam / Ported Trick Flow Heads / Box Upr / Lightning Lwr
17x9 Cobras / Front 255s / Rear 275s / 5 Lug Cobra Disc Conversion / Auburn Ltd. Slip / 3.27 / 31 spline axles / Panhard Rod / Upr&Lwr Control Arms

Old 06-28-2006, 01:05 AM   #12
vristang
Registered Member

It should be mentioned that the factory gauges are not known for their accuracy.

The oil indicator light should be an oil level sensor (on the drivers side?) of the oil pan.
I am not sure though as my fox did not come with an indicator light.

jason

1990 GT - 408w - 17mpg