MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Checking rear diff oil (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=44655)

Scrapla 11-04-2004 10:32 AM

Checking rear diff oil

I want to check my rear diff oil because i'm hearing like a slight rubbing or grinding noise from the rear right wheel area and just want to check the fluid level in the diff. first, I found the plug but its a very ackward angle for me to reach I have a sloped driveway and only two jackstands and I know to get an accurate reading the car must be level when you check the fluid, is there a easier way to get to this plug or to check the fluid because ive been reaching from behind the diff around to the plug and its not working to well.

bmxmon 11-04-2004 06:13 PM

Re: Checking rear diff oil

i would just park you car so you jack the back end up, so it gets it higher off the ground, easier to get to and level. Im not familiar with the newer rear ends, but it could be the outer bearing. (if they have them, im guessing they do, my old one does!)

82 GT 11-04-2004 08:41 PM

Chances are that the plug is seized. If you can get the plug to turn, your're lucky!
I just thought I would give you heads up about that.

Scrapla 11-04-2004 10:24 PM

Well I got to the plug but I cant get it off I also couldnt get the best grip on it but what would cause it to seize, also I had my 3:73s put in about a year and a half ago and the fluid and gasket was changed and was fine up to about a few months ago I was thinking he used a air rachet to tighten the plug and thats why but if it is seized what do I do and if the rear diff is almost empty what are signs that its gonna go out on me since this is my daily driver and its on the highway 5 days out of the week.

82 GT 11-04-2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapla
Well I got to the plug but I cant get it off I also couldnt get the best grip on it but what would cause it to seize, also I had my 3:73s put in about a year and a half ago and the fluid and gasket was changed and was fine up to about a few months ago I was thinking he used a air rachet to tighten the plug and thats why but if it is seized what do I do and if the rear diff is almost empty what are signs that its gonna go out on me since this is my daily driver and its on the highway 5 days out of the week.

It's seized because of rust and road grime. Soak it good with penetrating oil and try again. Once you get it off, coat the threads with NEVER SIEZE compound.
I used to have a plymouth volarie years ago with a 7.25 rearend.
It would clunk around a bit before it finally snapped. It's an unmistakable sound. I broke 3 of them before getting smart enough to upgrade to the 8.25 rearend.

HoodStrype 11-05-2004 02:56 PM

"PB Blaster" @ any "real" car parts store

Scrapla 11-06-2004 09:20 PM

Thanks i'll give it a try

82 GT 11-17-2004 02:39 PM

Well....did you get it off yet?

Scrapla 11-17-2004 02:48 PM

lol sorry yea I got it off just shot it with some wd-40 and used a small breaker bar and it came right off, I used some 80w-140 I think it is cause the guy at the parts store said it was better for high mileage cars, everythings cool but the noise is still there so I think its a bearing