MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2001, 08:05 PM   #1
bosco
Registered Member

Exclamation clueless...conversion to fuel injection

ok heres the deal, i have the mods listed below, and im wanting to convert my car to some sort of fuel injectiion.....any suggestions or help, i dont really know anythign about fuel injection, this car is carbed and my truck was a carb to so.. i dont know if it makes a difference, but im currently looking for a 87-93 gt to put my motor in, could i use anything from that fuel injection set up? i figured with my mods i would need some kind of aftermarket intake, and a computer, thats the part that confuses me the most, what do i do about a computer??? any sugestions on aftermarket intake manifolds that would go good with my mods? i really appreciate the help guys
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )

Last edited by bosco; 12-15-2001 at 08:11 PM..
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 08:22 PM   #2
Dragpack
Registered Member

Default Hey

I am currently converting a 69 Mustang to fuel Injection. I worked as a ford tech for three years. I grow up with fuel injection so ask any question you would like. If I can't answer it I will find out I have about 6 years worth of mustang magazines and some shop manuals.

My set up is a complete convertion. I am building a 87 stroker motor with the new roush heads, I am building the car to run 12 flat for my class I run. I'm going to use the GT-40 intake the best one all around for drag racing. I bought Mass Air Experts street rod kit which is expensive but complete. I am going to use 73 mm mass air meter, calibrated for 30lbs injestors, I need a return line to the tank for fuel so I bought a fuel cell and cartech fuel system. New lines, pump, everything. Stock mass air computer will work fine when running slower than 11's. You will need to put holes in your exhaust for 02 sensors. This is a quick over veiw. I hope I didn't confuse you. If your going to convert a fox body car it is not that bad. You don't need a fuel cell or complete fuel system. a new in tank pump and return line will be needed probably a new tank because the carb tank don't have a baffle to keep fuel from splashing. A 90-93 donor will real make it simple. these mustangs are mass air cars that love to be modified. The other years you are limited because of speed density.

See article "Let it rip-convert to fuel injection" In the Muscle Mustangs and fast fords Magazine November 1995

Anything questions just ask? Good Luck!
Dragpack

Last edited by Dragpack; 12-15-2001 at 08:32 PM..
Dragpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 01:08 AM   #3
bosco
Registered Member

Smile

Thanks for the reply, it made sence to me. I looked into the gt-40 system and that does look really nice, i think im going to go with that. I was thinkin about getttin a BBK 70mm TB, and a 73 mm mass air, what injectors would you recommend for my set up? and should i get a new fuel pump or use the stock one? I was plannin on gettin a 90 or so gt, 5.0 efi and using that as a base, then puttin all this stuff in when i put my motor in the gt, anything else i should replace that im leaving out?
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
Old 12-16-2001, 05:25 PM   #4
Dragpack
Registered Member

Default EFI

Glad I can help! Use a 90 GT will make things much easier. Everything sounds good so far. I'm looking for 350-400 horsepower so I need 30lbs injector. Stock injector are good for 275 or less, 24lbs 275 to 350 and so on. There is an equation for this. LaRocca's preformance Home page has the calculator for this. I have it somewhere but I need to do some digging. The stock fuel pump should be changed. I run a 190 intank pump on my 90 LX. This pump is good down to 12's.

Dragpack
Dragpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:44 PM   #5
bosco
Registered Member

Exclamation

well, the deal i had on this gt didnt go through, guy changed his mind, im still looking, but assuming i cant find one, what will i need other than what ive listed so far? the thing that confuses me the most is the computer, i dont really know anythign about those. where can i get a computer and how much will it be do you think? i already know of a few places that can burn me a chip when im ready.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: