View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
'89GTStang
Registered Member

on your question about it being a good idea to "walk" the transmission in to place it is definately not a good one. When I bought my mustang the clutch had just been replaced and it chattered a little bit. I didn't think much of it really it seemed to shift and engage fine. a few months later the clutch stoped disengaging very well so I was just gona replace the clutch thinking the guy really didn't replace the clutch. When I unbolted the transmission and tried to take it off of the bellhousing it came out a few inches and would not come out any further. after hours of prying and beating we decided to just unbolt the whole bellhousing. when we got it off we discovered the throwout bearing retainer was swelled out and would not slide back out the throwout bearing, clutch, etc. When we got all the parts and started puting everything back together that is when we figured out the piolt bearing had been pressed into 2 peices. The outter race was in the flywheel and the needle bearings and the inner race were still in the back of the hole of the flywheel. The guy had "walked" the trans. into place the last little bit when he coulden't slip it in and pressed the bearing apart because it wasn't lined up exactly right. now everytime I change a clutch I make sure to get it all the way seated without using the bolts to do it.
K&N, Twisted Wedge heads, TFS intake,FMS 1.7 rockers, Trick Flow stage 1 cam(221*/225* .530in\.542in) , 3.73's, headers, off road H-pipe, Flowmasters, FMS Clutch, Tremec, PRO-5.0, FMS driveshaft, fluidyne alum. radiator, and more to come.
'89GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote