MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2001, 10:33 AM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Angry Clutch Quadrant?? PLEASE help!

For more info please also see my post on Tremec not shifting well. I seem to be having a problem that is only getting worse. The tranny doesn't want to go into gear without a fight. When its in gear, the car rusn great, its just a matter of getting in gear. When the car is off, the tranny is as smooth as a knife in butter, but as soon as the car is on, its hard as a rock. I have to litteraly put the clutch in as far as I can to get a half way decent shift. When sitting at a light, with my foot off the brake and the clutch in, it feels like its engaging itself. Could my clutch quadrant be going bad? Maybe the cable is stretched out after all these years? I really don't like driving the car like this, but I have to get to and from work. The tranny is just over a year old with about 25,000 miles on it, the clutch is about 6-8 months old with about 10,000 miles on it, and the shifter is about 2 months old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it is the cable or think it may be the cable, then I can call Steeda and see about getting one if you guys think it will help. Sorry this is so long.

Chris

------------------
1987 LX, rebuilt 306, Mac shorty headers 1 5/8, 2 1/2" Mac off road h-pipe, 2 1/2" 2 Chamber Flowmasters cat-back, Mac underdrive pullies, 3.55, K&N, Tremec 3550, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Autometer gauges, White face gauges, blue silicone radiator hoses.
Best times:
2.331 60ft, 9.966 @ 71.069 1/8 mile, 15.491 @ 91.846 1/4 mile at 4000 ft. elevation on street tires
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 04:11 PM   #2
dah5point0
Registered Member

I had to replace the quadrant in my 89. They are cheap, and made out of a plastic composite. when it went out on my car, there was a scraping noise when i would push the clutch pedal down, it kept getting worse until I couldn't push the clutch in at all, then it broke. Luckilly it was at my house. I'm no master mechanic or anything, so it took about 8-10 hrs to replace it. You have to take out the seat, the pedals, lower part of the dash, steering column... It sucked. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, the stock quadrants are self adjustiong, to do that, i think you need the car off, in gear, and just reach down and grab the pedal and pull up. If there was a "click" then it adjusted itself.

------------------
89 Mustang GT

93 Bronco
4" lift, 33's
Coming soon:
2" more
35's

dah5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

Unhappy

What kind of quadrant did you get? I am looking into getting the Steeda Clutch Adjuster kit. 8-10 hours doesn't sound too promising to me. Half way tempted to see if my mechanic can get it in for me. I have 2 days off coming up on Wed-Thur. Anybody else have any suggestions on this? I really hope this is the problem.

Chris
Old 03-05-2001, 12:45 PM   #4
tomazzzo
Registered Member

Arrow

Go with the steeda quad and firewall adjuster. You can use their cable, or a factory cable with modifications. You dont need to remove the seat, steering column etc. Just need to move the seat back, and a flashlight. I have put a quadrant in my 93gt(BBK, wish I put in the steeda), and a steeda in my buddys 85 in about 2-4 hrs. no more broken plastic, and its adjustable at the firewall.
tomazzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 01:07 PM   #5
fordgasm
Registered Member

Lightbulb

It is possible the quadrant and or cable is your problem. I certainly would recommend installing an aftermarket cable and quadrant, especially if you have a heavier clutch like a centerforce. Cable and quadrant is not very expensive and a good mod even if your stock one is not the problem. So nothing lost.

I have a Tremec 3550 with a Zoom cable and quadrant with a centerforce clutch. I have to adjust mine from underneath the car but it is adjustable. Now there are some nice pieces out there that are adjustable at the firewall.

My Tremec and clutch has worked very well for me. By far superior to the T-5, can handle speed shifting and slicks. Yet friendly on the street.

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 08:29 PM   #6
Chris_H
Registered Member

Well I ordered the clutch adjuster kit from Steeda today. Asked them if they could ship it overnight to me because I wanted to put it in on Wed. They told me they don't ship overnight to first time customers. So I get to wait 5 days for this to come in. Is it doing any damage to the tranny with it being this hard to shift? There has been NO grinding except in reverse when the car is running. Its just hard to put in gear. I don't want to be tearing anything up while I wait for this part. Thanx for the replys.

Chris
Old 03-05-2001, 09:35 PM   #7
dinomite
The Dude

Check out this site on an AOD to T5 swap: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ap/index.shtml Its obviously not exactly what you are looking for, but they do have some detailed info on dissasembaly, and how to work on the cable/quadrant. Hope that helps.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 10:49 PM   #8
Chris_H
Registered Member

Thanx for the link Dinomite. I'll definately go check it out before I get the quadrant, whenever that may be. Hope UPS decides to get the package here a little sooner than 5 days. I will keep everybody posted when I know more. I appreciate all the help!

Chris
Old 03-05-2001, 11:00 PM   #9
Godslayer
Registered Member

I'm glad you got the Steeda unit. I have put both a Ford Motorsport and a BBK quadrant and cable in mine, and both times the rubber grommet at the firewall split in half inside a week. I'm not sure what kind of clutch I have (same one as when I bought it, going on 2 years), but the pedal pressure is HEAVY. The Steeda unit doesn't have the rubber grommet The stock cable snapped but I'll tell you, the stock rubber grommet was still looking good after 105k.

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote