MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2002, 12:17 AM   #1
greydan
Registered Member

Default clutch cable/solid quadrant install

I just finsihed installing a solid quadrant and adj. cable on my 87 GT (grrrrr) Didn't think I'd have to remove everything under the drivers side dash....but ah well.
Question. When I removed the clutch/brake sub -assembly from the firewall, a spring fell out...it was loose. Looked to me like a clutch return spring about 6 inches long.
The self-adj. origional quardrant, had it's own tensioning spring and didnt use a long return spring like that.
No where in the Ford manual, my Haynes or the Chiltons is a return spring like that pictured on anything other than a non-auto adjust origional set-up, with a solid arm.
I DO HAVE some slop in my clutch petal, with the clutch adjusted.
Baffleing to me, in yet it seems that I should install something on the new quadrant to remove the petal slack, just kinda hangs there. The quardrant isn't notched or drilled for a spring, so????
WHERE? The other side (L) Pedal side.
Don't want to mess it up, took to long to install.
greydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:44 AM   #2
C Pony Go
Registered Member

I don't recall one mine but heck that was like 4 years ago and I am old so thats my excuse..LOL

as for the slack-where is your pedal releasing the clutch? way down low-like within say a inch to a inch and a half off the floor.??

if so-try adjusting so releash is in the middle..everuones clutch is different so what works on yours may be the wrong intial adjustment for me...mess with adjusting and see if that clears it up.

Moderator-Mustang Central

My car-C Pony Go
my board-Visit Here
C Pony Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 09:02 AM   #3
greydan
Registered Member

Default petal adj

I'm adjusted about 2-1/2" from the floor. I have the pedal arm flopping when released. I'm back together and assembled, no way I'm taking it apart for the spring at this point. (stayed up late and went back into the garage)Gonna get the Dewalt out and drill a hole in the arm and find somewhere to attach the other end of the spring, to remove the wiggle <g>
Next time I have to go under there, I'll put it where it belongs, if it belongs...just need to know where. This is my second time at the dash. Had to tear it all off for a heater core (AC) a couple of months ago, and sure wish it was a bare LX, when it comes time to do dash work <g> I'm to big and blind for close-in under dash stuff <g>
Thanks
greydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:04 AM   #4
C Pony Go
Registered Member

Yeah me too and like you-my heater core just took a crap on me...been lucky that I haven't needed to drive long distances to work(its in my work car-88lx5.0)..it cold...lol going out today to buy the core and try and get it in this weekend..found a nifty tech article to help avoid stipping down the dash like we did on my sons mustang a couple of years ago---that is what nightmares are made of...LOL

Moderator-Mustang Central

My car-C Pony Go
my board-Visit Here
C Pony Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #5
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Andy - I'd be interested in seeing that article on heater-core removal without taking out dash.. If you don't have A/C in your car it's a piece of cake heater-core slides right out. With A/C you have to remove the A/C crap in front of heater-core so you can remove it. This required my son and I to remove of the dash to get out when we replaced our heater-core couple of weeks ago.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 05:15 AM   #6
LOCASH
Registered Member

Hey, I am a moron so excuse me if this dosen't help. I just put one of these in a friends 91GT (1 week ago) and I didn't pull anything out except the drivers seat (I am a small guy; 5'4" ). It was the FMS part and the cable was adjustable. I just adjusted the part on the transmission end until it was snug--a bit over hand tight and it worked out fine. It was a bit of a pain to get out the small part of the OE quadrant (NOT the large "D" shaped part). I used a pry bar. The FMS quadrant wouldn't line up quite right so I had to drill it out a bit. The tranny works great now. It used to bind up from 1st to 2nd. Hope I helped somehow. Let me know if you have any questions. I still remember most of it.