MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-25-2001, 10:39 PM   #1
supernova1987a
Registered Member

Post Clutch smokes, help!!

My clutch has be smelly for quite some time but it really got a lot worse recently. It smokes after 1 hour of highway driving, and the throwout bearing whines all the time.

I took it to a shop and replaced the rear main seal, clutch plates and both bearings, the bearing whine isn't quite as loud as before, but it doesn't smoke any more, but I can still smell the clutch and feel the heat rediating from the ash tray(!!). The clutch seems to be engaging and disgaging fine.

Could it be the Tremec input shaft that is worn? Has anyone had this problem before?
supernova1987a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 10:56 PM   #2
stanger8172
Registered Member

Mine had to be re-adjusted. It is adustable (check the signature) and I thought it was more adjustable than I thought. I wanted it to grab (at first) towards the bottom . I soon realized that it is best for the clutch to grab at the brake pedal(which I heard is the best point) or a little above. Keep that foot off the clutch as soon as you can!

------------------
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, FMS adjustable cable w/quadrant, 3:55's(not installed yet), ported/polished/milled E7 heads, 1.6rr, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys and A/C Eliminator, short belt, Home Depot ram air, K&N, battery in trunk, glasspacks w/turndowns, 225/50/16 Re 730's
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 12:33 PM   #3
fiveliter8
Registered Member

A few years back, I thought my clutch was cooking, but later found out it was actually my cats that were hot-VERY hot. The smell was similar to a clutch burning and the heat was bad on the trans tunnel and console/ashtray area. Had smoke coming from both the cats and the undercoating roasting. I replaced them with an off-road h-pipe and no more heat probs. Just something you might want to check.

------------------
Factory Five Roadster Build
Yellow T-roofed 84GT (In users rides)&
20th Anniversary GT350 ragtop
fiveliter8 is offline   Reply With Quote