MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cobra Intake? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=29525)

95mustanggt 10-01-2002 05:27 AM

Cobra Intake?

Looking into a Cobra Intake, but I have a few questions.

The Cobra Intake is from a member here actually, and had been running on a 94GT. I have a couple concerns about the intake which I need some advice.

1. The Intake was port matched to ported Edelbach Heads. I value proper port matching, but I have the stock E7's and will not be changing anytime soon and and concerned about the port mis-matching. I can't afford to have my heads professionally port matched to the intake

2. The upper intake was port matched to a 65mm TB. I have the stock unit and am not switching right now.

3. One of the runners has been "epoxyed" (sp?) how does that effect the intake?

I can't afford to do too much else if I buy the intake as I have a clutch, front main seal, suspension (bushings and tie rods) to do.

Would this be a good intake for me?

88workcar 10-01-2002 05:39 AM

I use a cobra. I like it. From what you said about this one, it will be fine for you. Epoxied, this means that during porting, the porter, porting bit, actually broke through the intake and made a hole in it. The epoxy is a repair do not let this scare you, it is quite alright. Mine is welded.

Mach 1 10-01-2002 08:24 AM

Re: Cobra Intake?

Quote:

Originally posted by 95mustanggt
Looking into a Cobra Intake, but I have a few questions.

2. The upper intake was port matched to a 65mm TB. I have the stock unit and am not switching right now.

Well, the cobra comes with a 70MM Throttle body opening, so how it was "port matched" down to a 65mm is a good question.

Along with the expoxy issues, sounds like it was butchered. How much does he want for it? I think I would pass on that one.

later

fiveohpatrol 10-01-2002 08:42 AM

Quote:

1. The Intake was port matched to ported Edelbach Heads. I value proper port matching, but I have the stock E7's and will not be changing anytime soon and and concerned about the port mis-matching. I can't afford to have my heads professionally port matched to the intake
now would be a perfect time for YOU to rip those heads off and do some port matching yourself. Its really not very hard, just a little time consuming.

But if you decide not to, then the port mismatch wouldnt be THAT big of an issue.
Now if you had an all out race car, with a killer set of heads, and wanted every last hp out of it, then yes port mismatch would be a huge issue.

95mustanggt 10-01-2002 09:11 AM

I don't mind porting my own heads, I would not leave them alone. I am a big fan of every component working together. So I have a concern about crappy TB, crappy cam and crappy heads, with a good intake. Is it worth a lot of $$? I don't know.

My concern too was that maybe it was a bit butchered. However, I hate the stock intake and this could be a could opportunity to "upgrade".

Dark_5.0 10-01-2002 09:55 AM

I think this intake will slow your car down it will flow too good for your stock heads.

If he is charging you more than 200.00 just go with an explorer intake.

My buddy put a Holley systemax intake and a steeda #19 cam on his 94 GT with his stock heads.

He ran a 14.8 stock
He ran a 15.5 after the mods.

Later,