MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-21-2001, 07:01 PM   #1
rbatson

Lightbulb Cold Air induction.... $7.83

Introducing Rick Batson's Cold Air Induction:

I've been thinking about making it for awhile or maybe buying a cold air induction($129 plus shipping), well.. I decided to make it!! Cost $7.83 to make and helps the surging idle problem.

If you want to purchase this item it can be had for the low low price of $59.95 shipped to your door, some assembly required. (Just kidding.)

What do you think??

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 02-21-2001, 10:27 PM   #2
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I like it

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
LOTS OF PRODUCTS, AWESOME PRICES! Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:18 AM   #3
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
I can't figure out why some people would spend so much money on cold-air induction, when something can be home made for fraction less. Sure it looks good and it's less of a hassle to install. Sure, I'm really cheap, but who cares.

I took out the air-box on my 89 LX 5.0L, and put a K&N cone which I found too loud. I wanted to make a ram-air setup, so I found the bottom-end scoop (like those on March's ram-air kits) from a Mustang junk store for $10CDN ($7US). Next, I used some exhaust tubing from my clothes dryer to create the ram-air. It looks a little tacky now but it's only temporary. I'll be fixing up that soon.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:35 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

seeing that you have that hooked up to a blower, a powerpipe sometimes is worth the money. You'll get a supposed 2lbs gain in boost, and that means better 1/4 times. If you fronted the money for the blower, its suprising that you used PVC pipe to put you filter in the fender. Well, to each his own.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 10:27 AM   #5
rbatson

You see that black tubing? That is a black plastic tube, I see no difference in that tube and the pvc I used. That is part of the vortech kit, it leaves the air filter in the engine bay. They send a piece of plastic to cover the air filter to keep the hot air off of it. The plastic cover didn't fit so I put the filter in the fender well.

I would like to know how the power pipe adds 2#s of boost, I wonder if it isn't because the filter can simply get more air from being in the fender. If that is not the reason I'd really like to know how, maybe I can make a different one.

BTW, You can get that pvc in black also but they didn't have it in stock at the time.

Gautum, what you have is what alot of people have used. Why do you want to replace it, doesn't it work?
Old 02-25-2001, 01:10 AM   #6
dinomite
The Dude

The black PVC that you are talking about is actualy ABS piping, flexible and used for sewage in construction. I know a lot about this stuff.......potato guns teach me all I need to know.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 01:27 AM   #7
rbatson

Thumbs up

Can you get that in 45 and 90 degree bends?? I would prefer to use that if for no other reason that it looks better.

The guys said they could get that white pvc elbow in black, they said it was the same thing.. I dunno, I didn't see any.