MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2002, 03:48 PM   #1
KG88GT
Registered Member

Question Cold air questions?

While I wait to do the gears in my 88GT, I want to do a cold air intake. Since I am new to mustangs where is the air flow meter or what ever it is called in Ford engines. I plan on getting a fender mounted cold air intake and was wondering how much messing with the air flow meter there will be. I would like recomendation on where to get the intakes, if there is someone better than someone like Summit.
Thanks
KG88GT
KG88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:14 PM   #2
SKYWLKR
Registered Member

well you have no MAF on your car.. its an 88.

I have the march Ram air and it kick ***. I pickup a full mph+ when it's on.

helps the 88GT run 13.30's with cat back,the Ram air and X-pipe only.

12.3@111.7 N/A
, 11.8@115 a ~60 shot.(#.47 jet)

92 Miata classic red 15.9@86 with exhaust only.

http://members.aol.com/jeauxmoe/index.html
SKYWLKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

if your car is equipped with California emissions, then yes you have one. if not you have no mass air meter, just the tube.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

Since your new to the greatest automobile ever built, you need to understand this, 1986-1988 Mustangs were produced with a "Speed Density" type of computer, this set-up does not use a MAF, instead it uses other sensors to determine proper Air/Fuel ratio's and such, this is a "set" system.

The 89 and up stangs used the Mass Airflow Set-up, this allows for much better driveability and the ability to compensate for performance items.

For now, remove the "squirel box" or air silencer in the fender and get a nice K&N filter, put it in the fender later, as you need other items as well. hope this helps.

Also, my opinion, and guy's this is my opinion (actually after Rick Anderson told me this) so don't slam me too hard as i alway's do when i say this.

As far as the Cold Air thing is concerened, it has been proven on the dyno that it is the VOLUME of the air that your motor recieves that matters NOT the temperature of it, NOW!, I'm not saying that cold air doesn't matter as it certainly does, colder air is more dense therefore we are able to cram more air into the engine per revolution, once again it proves that MORE air is the key. Ram air set ups only work above around 90mph and they usually are sucking up hot air right off the ground so i don't recommend them until your blown or damn fast.

Last edited by gtsr515; 02-06-2002 at 09:17 PM..
gtsr515 is offline   Reply With Quote