MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2001, 09:28 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Lightbulb Comp Polymers Powerbox

Hey i saw this thing lik e a few months ago and thought ti was jsut to stupid looking ot look into. However i was checking it out today and found out its not to shabby actually. however it is only a replacement for the upper intake and not the lower. I was woondering if i was to get this box thing... is there a way to make the stock lower intake work alot better??? should i bore the thing out or what? thanks guys oh by the way im looking ofr some horses not so much torque.
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 09:40 PM   #2
avbcon12
Registered Member

i caouldnt tell you why but i asked the same thing a while back and was told by many people that the intake was junk if you are going to try it on a street driven mustang. they all said box uppers are for strick racing applications only. the mustang needs the long runners for velocity.
once again i dont know if this is true but i went with a cobra instead and it worked great for my application. hope this helps.

Adam

[This message has been edited by avbcon12 (edited 09-16-2001).]
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
Daves 95GT
Registered Member

The Comp polymer box, as well as uppers offered by Downs Ford, Cartech, and the like, are strickly for high rpm racing applications, or for high horsepower forced induction applications. The short runner design of these upper intakes do not lend them selves to low rpm street oriented driving. They are for 6-8,000 rpm applications. if you put it on your street car, you would loose about 20 or so horsepower, and the car would be a pig below 4500 rpm . It maybe even higher before the power would start to come one. stay with a Holley upper and lower, or a Trick Flow or Edelbrock. these are all great intakes. I have the Trick Flow track heat intake, and I have a touch over 400 hosepower at the flywheel. Good luck with your combination.

[This message has been edited by Daves 95GT (edited 09-17-2001).]
Daves 95GT is offline   Reply With Quote