MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-09-2001, 12:31 AM   #1
86StangGT
Registered Member

Default Shorty header install questions??

I finally decided to throw a set of Mac 1 5/8 unequal shorties on my 95 Cobra. But I got a few questions before I start it. What part would give me the most trouble?? To me it seems like the header bolts are a b****. I think that I have to use a wrench on them, but then again threre isn't a whole lot of room to double wrench it. Well I hope someone can help me make this job a little easier. Also, does anybody know what size the stock headers are???
86StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:12 PM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

The passenger side on my car took the longest, there's just too much stuff over there. It's all about patience. But it pays off in the end! Good luck!
Old 12-10-2001, 03:13 PM   #3
Rebel79
News Editor

Hmm the passenger side was teh easiest for me which ( I know ) is unusual. On my friend's 95 GT the p/s pump gets in the way of a header bolt which makes it a major pain. The one thing you will have to worry about is getting the nuts off of the header studs to get the H-pipe off. They might be rusted on. I ended up having to drop the H-pipe but some people don't need to.

The install is better with two people. One to hold the header and gasket in place and the other to finger screw the bolts in. It took two people on my friend's 95, however I did the ones in my car myself, and I even have a blower in the way.

Be sure to be careful when tightening the H-pipe nuts. You want to tighten them incrimentally... ie 2 turns on the right, 2 of the left. Be especially careful on the passenger side.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:41 PM   #4
86StangGT
Registered Member

Cool, thanx alot for the help. I shoudn't have a problem with the header bolts at the H-pipe because I put on the mac H pipe and Cat-back. I try to do all the work myself on my mustangs, plus I used to work at a mechanic and speed shop so I've seen just about everything. But this is my first fuel injected mustang and there seems to be alot of stuff to clutter the engine compartment. But I can say that mac exhaust sounds awesome on 5.0's. I got them because I heard them on the mod motors just not the 5.0's and everybody has flowbastards on their mustangs. My snake roars with the flowpaths!!! Do you think I will get a better sound with aftermarket headers?
86StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:40 AM   #5
Rebel79
News Editor

Yes, it should sound a bit deeper. After I installed a set of (crap) BBK headers on his Mustang with a stock H-pipe and STOCK mufflers, it actually made it sound good! It has a nice quiet idle, yet its loud and throaty duing WOT.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote