MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
Lightspeed
Registered Member

Default Another 5.0 conversion question

I hate to be a nucense but im dead set on putting a newer model 5.0 in my 67 coupe backed up by a t5 and so here i come to ask another question to lead me on my long journey. I seem to have figured out most of everything except for one part... the fuel pump. Now i dont really know much about fox body style stangs but somewhere i got the idea that they had an in tank fuel pump (plz correct me if i am wrong) and i was wondering if i would have to get someone to modify my original tank to have an in tank pump or if there was some way that i could mount a pump in the engine compartment somewhere and not have to get the in tank pump (id really rather not have an in tank pump just for the fact they are a pain to replace, and the whole modification issue) so if anyone could enlighten me then i would appreciate it
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 05:56 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I have seen, in one of the Mustang Magizines, an in the tank pump that goes in the tank with the fuel sender. Just like a modern car. Sorry, can't remember where though.

You can mount a pump on the external though. You put in close to the tank though. Electric pumps push better then they suck. You can't use just any old electric pump either. Has to be high pressure. Check around they are available.

Don't forget you also need to add a fuel return line to the tank too. This is the line that the extra fuel returns to the tank through.

Filter too.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

Don't even sweat it about the fuel pump. If your going with a stock engine get an 84 svo/turbo coupe in line fuel pump for performance use a bbk inline. As for the return line just use the drain plug. I'm currently doing the same project. Just taking it easy since I'm polishing EVERY aluminum piece, hydraulic clutch, power windows, doors, trunk release, 4-wheel power disc. Need more help ask as much as you'd like. I really recomend getting vacuum and elecrical system books. Do you have everything you need because I have some parts I ended not needing.

Happy EFI'n
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
Lightspeed
Registered Member

thanks for the replies you guys....it helped out a lot
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote