MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2002, 08:14 AM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Convertable Sound System

I would have posted in the AUDIO forum, but no one looks there.. so I'm taking my chances here...

89 GT Convertable, there's VERY little trunk space, but I know I've seen sub boxes for trunk, I would imagine it would fit in space under the top well...

Has anyone put a box in there... and if so.. where'd ya get it.. there's one place that has em, for like 150 bucks... UNLOADED... seems high to me...

it's at the bottom of this page
http://www.tune-town.com/Installatio...es/Mustang.asp

Thanx
-=as=-
Old 06-10-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
rbatson

Mine was custom made by a local stereo shop, I bought 2 10W3s from them so I got the box for either free or cheap(I paid 2 prices for the speakers though!). If you want pictures just let me know. I have mine firing straight up for tighter bass but its not that loud at all, really.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:42 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

yeah I'd love to see pictures... I wouldnt mind making the box myself, it just seems it would have ot be very shallow to fit in that small space... I dunno about the quaility of the sound at that point... i suppose another options would be the sides of the trunk, behind the wheel wells, that's where MTX makes em for on later model mustangs...

hmm... choices, choices
-as
Old 06-11-2002, 07:19 AM   #4
kiku2sleep
Registered Member

I have 2 Sony 8's in the trunk; the amp is under the top. It is a tight fit. I have to take the metal latch off to get the box out. I had a local shop build it. It has been a few years. I think they charged me about $75 to build it.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #5
ziggy_2k
Registered Member

I would love to see pics off all your trunks. I put a 10 in a truck box on the left side of my trunk. I run amps to my sub and my speakers. I built a amp rack and put it in the space underneath my top. I run one MTX 10 at about 400 watts peak.
ziggy_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
rbatson

Default This real quick..

I just went out and shot these pics real quick before I forgot. Its dark out so the pics aren't the best.. Nevermind the junk in the trunk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-032s.jpg (38.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-12-2002, 10:18 PM   #7
rbatson

Here is the other pic with them slightly pulled out. Its a tight fit but will slide out fairly easy with just a little effort. I could have slid it back more if I'd clean the trunk out.

kiku2sleep, I wanted 2 8s but the audio guy insisted I wouldn't hear them unless I went with the 10s. How does yours sound? Is it nice tight clean bass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-034s.jpg (39.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-13-2002, 06:02 AM   #8
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

That's wierd, I went to an audio palce and the guy insisted it would sound like crap cause there wasnt enough depth in that area... it allmost seems like there's MORE room in your trunk then in mine.. like my top well sets deeper or something.. cause that looks like the perfect setup since that space is useless anyway..

Thanx alot for the pictures.. they are exactly what I was hoping do to... though I was thinking of mounting my amp under the passenger seat, for a couple reason... so shorten the speaker runs and to save space in the trunk...

My intentions are to get a KAC959 Kenwood 5 channel, and run all the speakers and a sub with it... if you guys care, crutchfield sells that amp for 399, but I found a place that sells it for 239.. that's a BIG difference.. i dont care if it "fell off a truck" as long as it works..

thanx guys
-as
Old 06-13-2002, 11:36 AM   #9
STM2
Registered Member

Hemm, new in the box? Do they have any more?
STM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:10 PM   #10
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Well I found the place online, it's an electronics store out of NYC... I've read some reviews from other customers and they are mostly positive, the place seems kinda sketchy based on some reviews I read, but for a price like that I dont care if it comes in a white box with photocopied instructions, as long as it works I'm a happy camper...

it's an 800W MAX 5 channel amp... when its all said and done it's basicaly.. 40W x 4 + 120 x 1... enough to run all your interior speakers and a sub.. it's kenwood so it shoudl be a quaility amp..

he's the link to the site... if you hang in there, I'll let you know how it comes when I get it.. shoudl have it by early next week...

ETRONICS.COM
Old 06-13-2002, 10:06 PM   #11
rbatson

The reason I always suggest crutchfield is for the step by step(and I mean step by step) instructions and diagrams of your specific car. They also have GREAT customer service(this means alot to me). I buy most of my head units and door/dash/back speakers from them, if I plan on installing it on a car I'm not familiar with that really helps. They will help with amps and such if you call them(I don't know jack about wiring an amp). I bought my infinity amp and speakers from them. I bought the subs and eclipse amp from the audio shop because they gave me 'alittle' break on the install and box if I bought from them.

You may have found the best deal on that amp but you may want to check www.pricescan.com , just to make sure.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:45 AM   #12
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

crutchfield is probably the BEST electronics company to deal with when it come to car audio, I agree 100% thier head units are the best way to go... I actulay just bought 3 units form them in the last three weeks cause I was so impressed with thier service. You pay alittle more from them, but the wiring harness, dash install kit, instructions and tech support, make up for that difference in price... but when it came to this amp, I couldnt justify over a 150$ difference for techsupport, cause with amps they dont come with anything ... and I dont realy need any help with the wiring... so in this case it was worth it to me to go elsewhere... though since it's probably too late, if you ever need help with wiring I'm sure this message board will be all about helping you out... or you can email me personaly... I'm new to mustangs, but stereo equipment is nothing new to me.. though this small *** trunk is presenting a new challenge

-as