MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
CONVGTMUSTANG
Registered Member

Question Convertible Top Cylinders

The passenger side cylinder that raises and lowers the convertible top is leaking. I just won two cylinders and the lines off of Ebay to replace the broken cylinder. Has anyone ever replaced this item? If so, how hard and technical was it during the process? It looks really tight in the location of the cylinder.

Thanks!

1992 Mustang GT Convertible
Rice Hater Member #325
CONVGTMUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Easy...

It's easy really. There is more room than you think after you remove the back seat and side panels.
The cylinders are very easy to r and r. Just make sure you cycle the top several times after topping off the hydraulic motor in the center of the back seat. Also, really look for leaks at the top of the cylinder as you cycle the top before you put it all back together and see a red stain on your carpet.
Good luck.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:32 AM   #3
CONVGTMUSTANG
Registered Member

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the info bro!!

One more question:
How do you add the hydrolic fluid to the motor and when do you know that you added enough??

Thanks again!!

Rice Hater Member #325
Old 02-07-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Hydraulic motor top off

On the side of the cylindrical unit, there is a 3/8" diameter rubber plug. It is a pita to get out, I use small needle nose pliers to ease it out a little and then get a better grip with some bigger pliers so as not to damage the rubber (but it's stronger than you think).
Take slack out of the hydraulic lines carefully, and set the motor vertically and literally pour dexron tranny fluid in it until it tops out. The reservoir holds about 8 ounces, but cycle the motor after you top it off, to aleviate any air pocket issues, then top it off again. You will notice the top cycles slowly as it works the air out, then it will work much faster. Three cycles should work out any air.

*Make sure you have plenty of rags, you will spill some for sure. And you want to get that stuff up asap b/c it will absolutely stain anything it touches in the car.(yes, this is from personal experience)

Good luck. Convertibles are the best.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
CONVGTMUSTANG
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for the awesome advice! I'm going to replace the cylinder next weekend, weather permitting.

Your right, Convertibles do rock! This is my first one and I can't wait to get out on the road this summer.

Rice Hater Member #325
Old 02-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
CONVGTMUSTANG
Registered Member

Red face What Luck

Well I replaced the passenger side ram with no problems. I also refilled the motor without making too much of a mess. I forgot to rezip the rear window on the convertible top. Unfortunitely, when I went to lower the top, it landed on the glass window, breaking it into a million pieces.

What luck, I fix one problem and created another!!

Rice Hater Member #325