MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Default Convertible top will not go up or down

The top of my 91GT Conv. will not work. When I press the button it makes this clicking sound coming from the back where the top motor is located. It is weird because sometimes it works perfect with no problems at all. But lately it hasn't been working. It is the middle of winter so I'm not worried about it now. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions?

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

This sounds familiar. Mine did the same thing about a year ago. Your top motor needs to be replaced. Mine clicked too, I pulled the drain plug on the bottom so the top would go up or down manually. This really got old after a few months. Here in Florida I have the top dropped most of the time-like today. Replacing the top was a piece of cake too.
Hope this helps

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

You replaced the top yourself? I need a new top and I just assumed it would be something that you needed to take to "top shop" Is there anything special needed, tools I mean? The people who put this top on, never replaced the inside pads and they are all torn up, they covered them with some black fabric and just glued the fabric there... the glue wore off and then the pads are all exposed and nasty... and the frame could get caught on that torn up pads going down, and then the top wouldnt fold right and now it has cracks... so the top is junk now cause they didnt do a good job the first time... godo thing that was before I bought the car... so I wanna redo it right... I know I can get all the parts.. just wanted to know what was involved?
-as
Old 02-12-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

How much does it cost to install a new motor?

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:22 PM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I dont know about labor.. but most places have the motor for about 199$... so if you did the work yourself.. that's what you're lookin at... check out 50resto.com or mustangsunlimited.com... they have them.. though you might get a better price elsewhere.. try autozone for that matter
-as