MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-07-2001, 12:50 PM   #1
mrbaker
Registered Member

Post Anyone know how to get inner tie rods off rack?

I'm trying to replace worn inner tie rod ends on an '86. According to the manual there's a pin (which I can see just barely) that appears to be holding the tie rod onto the rack. How do I get the pin out and/or the tie rod end off?

TIA,

MRBaker
mrbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 05:38 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

The pins are mostly cosmetic. Just to make the manufacture feel better about their product. We used a pipe wrench. As my dad pressed the rack to the floor I used leg strength to kick the wrench down and their you go it eventualy losened up. A bit crude but it worked.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 09:13 AM   #3
LX5liter
dude5l

You can get a special tool for taking the inner tie rod ends off. You might be able to rent one from a parts store. With the right tool you just use an impact gun and it shears the pin off. End of problem. You can leave the rack in the car to!

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 11:41 AM   #4
mrbaker
Registered Member

Got 'em!! At the suggestion of Fostang (thanx!) I got a pipe wrench and 5lb mini-sledge and gave both sides a few good whacks. Came right off. The "pins" were some sort of spring steel that was rolled up and hammered in. They didn't even come close to the holes in the rack and were just folded over inside. The new rods have a allen set screw, much nicer! Got 'em from Autozone, lifetime warrenty. Thanx again for all your helps!
mrbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 05:16 PM   #5
Fostang
Registered Member

Glad to hear you've got them off. Should increase handling performance.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote