MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   coolant issues and leak need help. (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=49098)

Desperado 10-29-2006 09:55 PM

coolant issues and leak need help.

first off i have a 89 mustang gt with auto tranny. i can see coolant after driving dripping from the transmission right below the torque converter. this leak is like a drop every 5 seconds and will continue till the car is turned off. once off it will stop dripping after a min or two. where could the be comming from? i can't seem to find the source. also when the car is warm and i turn on the heater and have it on vent it puffs steam when i turn it on and then goes away. WTF is going on. i have been fixing 2 leaks and now i got this last one and the steam issue. please help. i already replaced the thermostat and gasket and it is dry and i replaced my 2 heater hoses at the firewall. just have these last 2 issues. please help. the drain for the heater core looks like it is a tad wet but no water trail from it.

rwhite65 10-30-2006 07:02 AM

Re: coolant issues and leak need help.

Is there a small tube near the heater core area near your two heater hoses you replaced? It should point down. Sounds like a bad heater core, and the fluid is dripping out of the tube. Sorry, I dont own a neawer stang, but this is exactly what was wrong with a malibu I have been working on for a buddy.
Ryan

mustangII460 10-30-2006 07:38 PM

Usually the core will stink up the inside with the antifreeze smell. Even to the point in fogging the windows.

Check the back of your manifold real well for any leaks.

Hope its not a rear freeze plug, out comes the tranny.

By all means check the easy stuff first.

killerbrd 10-30-2006 07:39 PM

The fog is the giveway. See if carpet is wet on passengers side up by heater box. Its about a 5 hour job, have fun pulling the dash. I have done it on another stang i owned.....

Desperado 10-31-2006 10:15 AM

the carpet is completely dry. the steam has no antifreeze smell. what rear freeze plug? also where at on the intake to look for leak.

thanks guys

killerbrd 10-31-2006 08:40 PM

The freeze plugs on the block (motor) itself. YOu have a leak coming from that side of the engine. Tough to see the freeze plug from the top of car. But also check the heater core hoses, there is 2 there.

Desperado 10-31-2006 10:22 PM

heater hoses are new and completely dry. with a auto can i check the rear freeze plug? i will try and check closer but i know the heater hoses are good.

Desperado 11-01-2006 11:17 AM

found it. heater core and 2 freeze plugs on driver side.

how hard are the freeze plugs to change in the car.