MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Question Best cooling fan to run?

Ok, currently I have my Black Magic electric fan running on the car, with a Fluidyne radiator, and about to put my Stewart water pump back in. Which fan is the best to run? I really hate this electric fan. Can never tell if its on or not. My stock fan is pretty cracked, and I don't want to put it back on. Should I just buy a new stock replacement, use a Flex fan, which I have heard good and bad things about, or should I try and deal with this electric fan? To me the electric fan doesn't cover enough area on the radiator to be truely effective. Any advice from you guys is always appreciated.

Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 08:21 PM   #2
avbcon12
Registered Member

well if it keeps your motor cool then by all means keep it. mine keeps my engine at 180 deg. (i have a 180 stat too).

if you just dont like not knowing when its on then wire in a little light to show you when its on.

i dont like flex fans, if you have the money for a stock fan (i think they are like $50) then get that.

take care,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:29 PM   #3
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

I just put the Black Majic fan on my car 2 days ago and it keeps my car more cool than the original manual fan does. It keeps it right at 180 with a 180 T-stat. If you want more cooling power that a SN95 fan will work better but I hope you have a 130 amp alternator to go with it. That fan pulls a lot of amps !!!!
91 LX COUPE, 3.73 gears, 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe, 1 5/8 MAC long tube headers, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70 MM MAC TB, LUNATI cam,1.7 TFS Rockers, TFS Track Heat heads, TFS Track Heat intake, T5 with PRO 5.0 shifter, Griffin aluminum radiator, Fluid Damper, SSM traction bars, 190 GPH in tank fuel pump. And more to come.
5ohCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:58 PM   #4
Chris_H
Registered Member

To be honest, I am not happy with how it cools, or better yet, how it doesn't cool like I think it should. I run a 180* t-stat also, and when I sit in traffic right now, mid 80* weather, its already heating up. Hate to break it to this fan, but it gets well over 100* here in the summer. On average, I run about 192-195* and that doesn;t bother me, but as soon as I sit in traffic, it starts to heat up and gets up over 210. I do have a 130amp alternator. Is the SN95 fan worth trying to put into my car? Was it just on the GT's or was it on a V-6 also?

Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 09:31 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

Geet one of those "dual" electric fans, with 2 smaller fans. You can also install a "pusher" fan in front of the rad.

The black magic doesnt cool any better than the stock fan.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:24 AM   #6
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We've got a BlackMagic fan, Stewart waterpump and 180 thermostat. When the temp reached in low 90s this week our stangs temp was over 210 with this combo. We're going to do a complete pressure check on system and see if that tells us anything.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:46 AM   #7
whiterod
Registered Member

chris, that is real weird because i live in louisiana where the temp get around 100 in the summertime also and the black majic fan has done awesome with cooling. See the problem i had is when i installed pulleys my stock fan wasn't turning enough to keep me cool at idle, so i installed the black majic fan. It cured the overheating at idle right away. if you don't have a 130 amp altenator i would suggest to get one, maybe your fan doesn't have enough juice to spin as fast as it should, just a guess. but i hope all goes well, good luck man
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:59 AM   #8
avbcon12
Registered Member

one of the biggest and best fans out there is the mark VIII fan. its pulls way more air than the black magic and SN95. but it also pulls like up to 80 amps upon startup. so make sure you have a really good alt.

what coolant mixture do you run?? i run about 85-90% water/ 10-15% coolant, and a bottle of water wetter (i swear by that stuff).
and that keeps my engine at a constant temp of 180 even in 100 deg weather.

take care,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:00 AM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

If your car cools fine with the stock fan, it will also cool fine with the black magic fan. If you are running the stock fan, and you are running hot, a black magic IS NOT the answer to your problems. It doesnt move any more air or cool any better than the stock fan, and it doesnt claim to. The main advantage of the black magic is that its electric, which has many benefits.

It seems that many people think the black magic is a "cooling" upgrade. its not. it improves power by being electric over the stock mechanical fan.

If your running an aluminum rad, high flow water pump, and a high flow 180 stat, and your still running hot, I suggest trying a cowl hood/ cobra grill insert and/or a larger more powerful electric fan. You dont want a flex fan, or a mechanical fan, as there are to many positives to having an electric fan. Just get an electric that moves more air than the black magic, or install an additional fan in front of the rad.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:27 AM   #10
wildneg
Registered Member

Post Best Fan

You guys say the Mark VIII is a very good fan to get? I have had a mustang for little over a year. It's basically race ready. Very fast, nice car. I bought it for 6k from a friend's buddy. I actually was trying to sell it to just buy a stock EFI one and I can work on that from scratch. But either way, I have serious heating problems. Tempature rises very high and I loose large amounts of power so I can't really drive it around. It has factory T-tops and I would love to just cruise around in it from time to time! But the heating issue makes it impossible.

I have tried just about everything people from here have told me to try. And even people from race stores and such. I have tried 160-200 thermastats. I have tried restrictors. I have tried flex fan, 3 different types of eletric fans. One was like 300$. It was a double fan (Two smaller fans). My question is, what about this Mark VIII? Will it work better then any of the fans I can buy? none of those fans totaly covered the radiator. That mark VIII (I seen pictures of it on a mustang) fits the radiator from left to right and top to bottom! I was thinking maybe trying one last time to fix this. I could buy a Mark VIII cooling fan, new 3 core radiator (anything better to get here? 4 cores? 5?). I can hook up a 180 thermastat. Which really doesn't make a differece. Car doesn't have heat. It was stripped out. So would a restrictor be better if I don't have heat? I will also try a 80/20 mix of water to coolant and that wetter water stuff.

Does that sound like it HAS TO do the trick? I was told my walls where probablly to bored? I don't know. I'm just hoping this is fixable. Anyone have any other things I can add and try? I was thinking about getting a storm'n norm'n hood. This way, I could use the ports in the front and the scoope in the back to circulate cool air. Help remove the heat from the engine compartment. Anyone know where to buy one of those hoods online cheap and one of the mark VIII fans? Thanks!

- Kevin P
- http://www.techsi.net/kevinp/
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:59 AM   #11
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Default Mark VIII

I have installed and been running the Mark VIII eletric fan and love it very much. The only problems you have to look out for clearance with an aluminum radiator. Since the fan covers ALMOST the whole radiator the shroud is very deep and you will have to trim it down to fit. I would swear by this fan as I have not had one problem over heating since the install(except when one of my hoses started leaking).
Here are a few links for the install
Link 1
Link 2

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:16 PM   #12
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
and a bottle of water wetter (i swear by that stuff).
Ditto. It's amazing how well it works.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #13
Chris_H
Registered Member

Well I ended up going ahead and buying a new police clutch and a new HD fan. Two things I really don't like about the Black Magic fan: Doesn't seem to cover enough of the radiator, and the fact that it has stopped working before, and I never knew it. I may lose some power running the electric, but I like knowing that so long as the car is running, so is the fan. Unless somebody wants to buy this black magic, I will probably just keep it around the house and run it in the winter like I have been. I like the fact that the stock setup covers (or seems too) more area than the black magic. Thanks everybody for the replies. I will go and pick up a bottle (or 2?) of water wetter before I do the work.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote