MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 10:10 AM   #1
sfedenia
Registered Member

Post Cooling Problem - I think

Chaulk this one up, but to make a long story short - my car had no coolant overflow bottle on the radiator. I know it was running very very hot (coolant looked "burnt"), but the gauge indicated normal. My question is this, I have the dealer paying/replacing the bottle - is anything else messed up? Waterpump, radiator, sensors, Thermostat, etc? I would think the waterpump, after being run dry and hot for a while, would be no good. I can't feel any water in the upper radiator hose, even after it is redhot from a 30 min idle. Pouring coolant in, it does not "get sucked down" into the system.
On a related topic, the car has the worst engine ping I have ever heard. I think it is because the engine is running too hot. Dealer says there is some intake cleaner that will make the pinging go away? seriously, come on...
timing at 8*btdc. no mods. bone stock.
sfedenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:01 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I would think the "Pinging" is from the motor running hot and lean. I would suggest just replacing the water pump and thermostat since they are cheap, it really all depends how hot the motogot and how long it was run with out fluid.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
sfedenia
Registered Member

(I have bitten the "proud" bullet, I can't believe I didn't catch this sooner) but anyway,
I can say this, I got the car last October, did not drive a whole lot during winter, so basically for six months it could have been - it was - low on coolant. I think I might have driven 5K miles? The temp outside has been cool, so I think that helped.
Just talked to the Ford guy working on the car, he says everything on the cooling system looks good, no bubbles, - keeping in mind this is the same place to sell the car withouit the overflow bottle to begin with. They did say distributor might be messed up, gear and stator, or something? I am thinking the dist. alters timing, so a new one might cure the pinging if it is realted to timing?
I installed new thermostat last weekend (- stock 195*).
Old 04-12-2001, 12:28 PM   #4
MuscleStang351
Registered Member

Dont forget about the gauge looking normal, it could be a sending unit or gauge problem also. On top of every thing else. Also with it running that hot and pinging you could have done some other not visable engine damage. Surly you fried your oil if you think you burnt the coolant. So your cyl walls are prob. not happy and you pistons could have had some ill effect from the detonation you were experiencing. You will prob drive it and never notice it but its just something to think about. Take a good look at your oil, you may want to change it a little more frequently for a couple of rotations. Just to try and clean the burnt stuff out. Good luck
MuscleStang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:33 PM   #5
sfedenia
Registered Member

that is one thing I have been doing, is oil changes - like every 1500 miles, used a few treatments of STP and CD2 detergent, and had the fuel system cleaned out. I have a few manuals, have not looked yet, but how do you check the sending unit? the guage needle moves, so I think that works...